progressive scan question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 24th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

progressive scan question

so is it possible/easy/how to upconvert 480p to 720p or better yet 1080p?

also when you film in 24p, i assume it's automaticly in 480p. is there any other setting within the camera (xl2) or in final cut pro to make it progressive?
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

The only two progressive modes on the XL-2 are the ones you see at the selector switch on the left side. You have 30P and 24P. You can also shoot at 60i, then de-interlace the footage in post to 30P but at the sacrifice of resolution.

It is possible to uprez the footage and I've seen some that looks pretty good. That would need to happen in your NLE or via a 3rd party encoder. Just be prepared to do this overnight while you are sleeping.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Greg, I have a stupid question. What is the difference between 60i and 30p on the XL2? I've read the manual, but don't really get it. Which one shoots the same rate as my old XL1s?
Corey Aumiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Trustee

60i is standard... that is what you see on TV. 30P is 30 STILL pictures per second with no interlacing, the XL1s does BOTH those rates. 30P is gret for live action stuff.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks ash

when you say the XL1s does both modes, was it all automatic, or did you have to choose the frame rate? I don't recall ever changing from one to the other with the XL1s.
Corey Aumiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Aumiller
when you say the XL1s does both modes, was it all automatic, or did you have to choose the frame rate? I don't recall ever changing from one to the other with the XL1s.
On the XL1 and XL1s, you have to go into the camera menu and select 'frame mode'. This will instruct the camera to capture 30 full frames per second as opposed to 60 interlaced fields per second. Because there is more motion between completion of 2 full frames than there is between two fields (odd scan lines, then even scan lines) the motion in frame mode will look a little bit strobe like. But it's good for fast action as Ash mentioned. It's also a good mode to use if you plan to lift stills from your video because they will be much cleaner.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Wrangler

Hi Corey,

This old thread has a discussion about 60i, 30p, and 24p and should help clear things up for ya:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=36253
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You guys have been great. Thanks for all the resources.
Corey Aumiller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders