Flange Focal Length of XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 26th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Wrangler

Flange Focal Length of XL2?

Does anyone know the FLANGE FOCAL LENGTH of the XL2? I've searched for a week, but can't find the information anywhere.

If someone owns one of the manual lenses, maybe it is listed in the lens specs in the lens manual.

I'm hoping it is close to 31mm (in air) just like the HD100. I'd like to create a XL bayonet adapter, but need to know this information to gauge the adaptability of some other lenses.

thanks in advance,
Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Tim,

I checked the instruction manual for the 16x manual lens and could not find that spec. Let me know if you would like to have a PDF copy of it anyway, and I'll send it to you via email.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Let me know if you would like to have a PDF copy of it anyway, and I'll send it to you via email.
Chris, I would love the PDF copy of the lens manual. I'm considering buying the 16x servo manual, or a used 14x. The 16x seems like the better bet with the built in ND and servo.

Tim
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

No need to email those big files. You can download it from the Canon site.

Canon's web site isn't very user-friendly (and I've directly told Canon so); here's another example -- the various lenses and other accessories for the XL line are mostly NOT listed in the area of their DV flagship, the XL2, but rather ARE still listed in the XL1s area. Here's a link:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...6&modelid=7471

then click the Product / Software Manuals link and it'll bring up a list of downloads, including XL lenses. Left-click the pdf file you want and you'll be given the option to open or save.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:23 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
Canon's web site isn't very user-friendly (and I've directly told Canon so);
I agree whole heartedly! A nightmare to navigate and find anything. Does seem to be a kind of trend though. It's like they have the webmaster show them around, instead of watching a consummer try to navigate the site.

Mike
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
Wrangler

Thanks Pete,

I downloaded the pdfs of all of their lenses and the EF adapter, but unfortunately Canon didn't list the Flange Focal Length of the XL mount in their specs.

Top secret information I guess. I'm passing the question on to the lens department at Canon Canada. Maybe I'll get an answer next week.

Tim
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I read on this forum somewhere about the exact distance you are looking for about six months ago. Try searching XL and Distance. I think it was in the alternative imaging threads.

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

here is what I dug up, it's not the same post but it's a start.

"I have been doing a lot of measuring the XL1. The distance between ccd and the mounting surface is about 1.130" the distance between the cover glass to ccd is much smaller, hope this help."

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harvey
here is what I dug up, it's not the same post but it's a start.

"I have been doing a lot of measuring the XL1. The distance between ccd and the mounting surface is about 1.130" the distance between the cover glass to ccd is much smaller, hope this help."

jh
So that would be around 28mm. That seems about right considering JVC is 31mm.

Thanks John
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders