Canon / Sony playback compatibility?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon / Sony playback compatibility?!

Hello -

I have a bunch of Mini DV tapes that I shot with a XL1.

To play back these tapes, I am using a Sony VX1000 and Sony PC9 …. as I no longer have the XL1.

The issue I have is that some of the tapes play fine, while others have problems such as skipping/dropping frames.

For tapes, I utilized Sony, TDK's, Panasonic, JVC brand tapes.

My questions are:

- Is this a Canon / Sony camera issue?

- Is it a tape issue?

If it's a CAMERA issue, then could I get any Canon Mini DV camcorder to play them back or would it have to be specifically an XL1?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon / Sony playback compatibility?!

I"m almost sure it's a tape problem, don't you know anyone that still has a minidv camera or own a tape deck such as the Sony DHR-1000? Then you could test to know for sure, otherwise you might buy a camera and have the same problem.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Wrangler

MiniDV recordings should playback without problem if made at SP speed.

Do you see breaks in timecode or the scene at the skips, or are they mid-shot?

Where the bad tapes shot at LP speed. (LP is not reliable if played on a different machine from the recorder).

Where the skipping tapes shot during a different time period from the tapes that play OK, or are they interspersed? (Camcorders age and the tape path alignment can drift slightly over time.)

Do the suspect tapes always skip a tthe same point on the tape, or does it move around? (If the skip point moves around, you can try recover by recapturing the skip area and then editing it in to replace the bad section.)

If some tapes play well and other do not it is more likely a tape issue. By tape issue it could be physical/mechanical with the tape, or the actual recording on the tape.

Is it more pronounced with audio or video?

In some cases tape read errors may prevent firewire captured, but analog output may appear OK thanks to error correction in the playback machine's analog output circuits. In this case analog capture may provide a viable alternative.

In any case, try a head cleaning. It might help if the issue is a weak read of the signal on tape.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I"m almost sure it's a tape problem, don't you know anyone that still has a minidv camera or own a tape deck such as the Sony DHR-1000? Then you could test to know for sure, otherwise you might buy a camera and have the same problem.
Yes, I am looking around to borrow or rent a Sony Mini DV deck of some sort to see if that will remedy the issue.

I'm located in the Bay Area, CA .... so if anybody would happen to know of a good, reliable local rental house, please advise; will much appreciate it!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
MiniDV recordings should playback without problem if made at SP speed.
** Yes, ALL the tapes were recorded at SP mode.

Quote:
Do you see breaks in timecode or the scene at the skips, or are they mid-shot?
** The timecode seems intact (no missing numbers) when going thru frame by frame at the points where the glitches are.

Quote:
Where the bad tapes shot at LP speed. (LP is not reliable if played on a different machine from the recorder).
** No LP speed involved.

Quote:
Where the skipping tapes shot during a different time period from the tapes that play OK, or are they interspersed? (Camcorders age and the tape path alignment can drift slightly over time.)
** Well yes and no. I have a bunch of tapes shot on the same day, same camcorder and some tapes are fine while others are having the glitch problem; and all using the same brand and type of tapes.

Quote:
Do the suspect tapes always skip a tthe same point on the tape, or does it move around? (If the skip point moves around, you can try recover by recapturing the skip area and then editing it in to replace the bad section.)
** Yes, the glitches happen at the same points.

Quote:
If some tapes play well and other do not it is more likely a tape issue. By tape issue it could be physical/mechanical with the tape, or the actual recording on the tape.
** I was thinking that as well.

Quote:
Is it more pronounced with audio or video?
** Both

Quote:
In some cases tape read errors may prevent firewire captured, but analog output may appear OK thanks to error correction in the playback machine's analog output circuits. In this case analog capture may provide a viable alternative.
** Hmmm....thanks for this tip; I will give that a try .... as I have been capturing (via Firewire) into FCP X and only once did it stop capturing stating it saw dropped frames. But with that same tape, I recaptured a second time and it was successful albeit with the glitches.

Quote:
In any case, try a head cleaning. It might help if the issue is a weak read of the signal on tape.
** Tried that; no difference.

Thanks Don, appreciate your time and input!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders