Tapeless Solution for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
Tourist

Tapeless Solution for XL2

I'm looking to find a good tapeless recording solution for my Canon XL2. So far I've tried several different things, but have been disappointed. I've tried the Datavideo DN60 recorder, but it wouldn't record to the device when the camera's record button was triggered (even with DV Control turned on). I've also tried using a S-video to HDMI adapter with the Atomos Ninja, but the results weren't what I had hoped for and it wasn't very portable. At this point I think I have narrowed it down to either the FS-CFpro recorder or the Sony MRC1K. Has anyone used either of these or have any other recommendations for a good tapeless solution? I'd really prefer not having to trigger record separately on the camera and then the device.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Tapeless Solution for XL2

Did the DN-60 have the latest firmware? I've read that can make a difference, with early firmware being problematic.

Did you have a tape in the camcorder when you tried to use the DN-60 (maybe required to operate the DN-60 with the camcorders pause button)?
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't speak specifically to the XL2 but with a DVX100B and DVC30 the MRC1K works great. No tape needed in cam (although you can record simultaneously to both CF card and tape if you wish) and the start/stop on cam operates the unit. The only thing it doesn't do is use power from the cam so you need a battery on the unit.

Last edited by Tom Mussatto; February 26th, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Tom Mussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did have the latest firmware on the DN60. I spent a good 20 minutes with a customer service rep, who couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work and I did have a tape in the camera as well. The MRC1K does seem to be a good solution, but is it camera mountable or does it need a special plate? Also, does it come with a battery or does that need to be purchased separately?
Bill Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The Sony unit comes with the mounting bracket which fits in the cold shoe on cam, and the HDMI cable to connect unit to cam. You would need to get a battery (and charger) for the unit as it doesn't draw power from the cam.
Tom Mussatto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders