C Mount adapter for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 26th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #1
New Boot

C Mount adapter for XL2

Does anybody know of an adapter for the XL2 that would allow the mounting of a C mount lens?

Thanks

Robert Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #2
Wrangler

I made mine by drilling a 1" hole in the plastic body cap. It works well as an extreme close-up macro when used with my switar 25mm.
It becomes macro because the back flange to CCD distance is very different between C-mount and Xl mount. C-mount is about 17mm, and I think XL mount is around 41mm (I'm not sure though.)

I also "dremeled" a small notch in the cap so that the pin "locks" it in place.

Tim

http://homepage.mac.com/timdashwood/.../XL-Cmount.jpg
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Thats pretty cool man. Way to think outside the bun... err... box.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM   #4
New Boot

C Mount adapter for XL2

Thanks Tim, that sounds like a workable solution and the price is right. I'm going to give it a try as I have some threaded parts for some other adpaters that I can attach to the body cap. I also have a bunch of Canon FL lenses and a junk 35mm Canon body that I have removed the mount off the camera that I will mount to another XL2 body cap and try some of my old FL lenses, one of which is a 300mm Fluorite.

Robert Fox
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm not sure I would trust he plastic lens cap with a 300mm.

Breaky, breaky. Cry, cry.
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6
New Boot

Lens mount

Your so right Mark. I am going to machine a mount for the lens so there will not be any stress on the plastic cap. I also need to balance the camera and lens on the tripod with this new mount.

Robert Fox
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #7
Major Player

The flange focal distance of a C mount lens is 17.526 mm, or 0.69 inch. Tthe C mount's thread pitch is 32 TPI (threads per inch).
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Don't waste your time

I've experimented heavily with alternate lens solutions for the xl2. A c-mount lens is only going to be useful for shooting macro. The ccd block is over an inch from the ir filter on an xl1/2 roughly 30mm, the back focus/flange depth of a c-mount lens is 17.52 mm or so, about half the required depth. If you tap the lens mount cap you're almost 50mm from the ccd. You'll find that you have use the zoom to focus on something and then you end up with a tiny fov. If shooting miniatures is your bag then totally discard what I've written but if you ever plan to shoot a person c-mount lenses are a no go for the xl series of cameras. I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life but I've wasted a couple thousand dollars trying to take the short cut. Do youself a favor and buy the 14x or 16x manual lens with macro. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #9
New Boot

telescope

This extra distance between the lens and ccd chip should not bother my application of using a telescope which has a slow, but wide focusing range. The extra distance will extend the effective focal length of the scope and increase the effective f-stop.

Robert Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders