XL2 Cases? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 Cases?

Hey, what case do yall recommend, if I'm gonna shell out 400+ dollars for a good hard shell case I want one that I can check at the airport, (since I'm guessing they won't let you take it on the plane ;)) I often travel from texas to california so a good case, (pref. insured) is essential. Also does anyone know of an XL2 case that has a tight form factor grip? Meaning: I was not impressed with the old Canon XL1 case, the camera moved around alot, is there one where you can fit the XL2 in like a guitar in a guitar case? None of this strappy business? Thanks in advance!
Jonathan Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Wrangler

Many will point you to Pelican cases (nice since you can customize the foam for your particular accessories. I prefer the Storm cases which are similar but have certain features that I think are better.
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Charles, those cases look awesome, now I just have to figure out which one will fit it, and make sure I cut my foam right! I like that these are substantially cheaper than the canon case.
Jonathan Sears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (i can't stand that store) and bought some black trunks. made of some kind of thin plywood wrapped in black vinyl. They have wheels on one end and a strap handle on the other. Then i got some high density foam from jo-ann fabrics and cut it to fit my XL2, matte box, 2nd lens, and all the accessories.

Cost maybe $50 total.

If i were traveling with my equip on airplanes, I would def get the pelican cases. I have one for my XL1 and it is fantastic. I just couldn't see spending $1000 on airtight, waterproof, smash-proof cases for my current everyday uses.
Joe Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Winchester
I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond (i can't stand that store) and bought some black trunks. ...
Sounds like a good move, Joe. By coincidence, I my wife and I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond last night (I share your opinion of it). I actually looked at the cases you mentioned with a very vague idea of using them for equipment cases. Alas, unlike your experience, genius did not click. I bought only a coffee grinder (a VERY important part of our video setup as it fuels the director/cameraman, coffee being an indespensible powerpak requirement that even Anton Bauer seems to neglect offering a solution for). The coffee bean grinder, just as an aside, is branded 'Grind Central.'

But, as to the XL2 we're ordering, I am getting a Pelican 1620 case. Black. ;-)

--Ralph
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Major Player

checking your camera at the airport...

I came across a website about camera theft, and fair number of the people reporting lost or stolen items where at airports, so you might want to really check into what the airline is going to be willing to cover if your camera should go missing. I think you can take your camera on a plane, so long as the bag is small enough, and you can show them at security that the camera is functional. If you are set on checking the camera in, make sure you disasemble it before packing, so that you don't stress the lens mount if its getting bumped around.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:42 PM   #7
Major Player

I really like the Porta Brace cases. We have them for our XL1/2 and although they aren't hard, they're rugged and really well made. They may (don't know for sure) also be small enough to take on a plane as carry on and the camera doesn't move around much, especially since it has a padded area designed for the viewfinder to fit in.
hope this helps.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 04:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Pelican 1620

The pelican 1620 is awesome. It holds my xl2 2 lenses, charger, and me66. Most cases require detatching the viewfinder but the 1620 is deep enough to put the camera in whole. If you pluck your foam right you dont even have to worry about lens mount stress because the whole package is supported, just take your time.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm a Porta Brace fan. I have a few Pelican cases, but I haven't chopped the foam for my XL2, yet.

I use the Porta Brace HK-P3 Hiker Pro, which holds the camera built and can be carried backpack style with lots of pockets for tools, AC pouch, batteries, etc. The main compartment has lots of extra room for tapes, BNC, a second lens, etc. The only thing I don't have room for is my matte box, but I can clip the case to the outside, via the D rings with a couple of 'biners.

Sadly, the Hiker Pro is too big and exceeds the TSA 47 linear inch maximum case size. So, I got the Porta Brace Cargo Case 3 for a reality TV show that requires air travel. The cargo case is small enough to be carried on and stowed in the overhead on most planes. I do have to remove the lens and viewfinder.

When in the car, I can have the camera fully built and then put it in the main compartment so that it sticks out, making it easy to grab, when the action starts.

The cargo case has a large main compartment, two end pockets and several side pockets. I chose not to use the internal dividers and just wrapped everything in lens wraps, or put them in padded pouches for the flight. Plenty of room for everything, camera, viewfinder, lenses, 4" color monitor with battery, onboard light and battery, camera batteries, wireless lavs, snacks, etc.

On some of the smaller planes, you might have to put the Cargo 3 between the last seat and the bulkhead, or it might fit in the closet.
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm going to be flying to Africa soon with my XL2. I have the large Pelican case as well as a portabrace bag. Do you think it is safe to check the camera in the Pelican?

Thanks,

Matt
Matthew Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm not sure. I would hand carry the camera with you to Africa. I have heard stories about people needing to bribe officials in order to get their cameras back. Check out cinematography.net and dot com and see what other people have done.

I consider some places like africa hostile where equipment is concerned, but I've never had to go there, so I can't say for sure.

-M
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:01 AM   #12
Tourist

Cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cherry
I'm going to be flying to Africa soon with my XL2. I have the large Pelican case as well as a portabrace bag. Do you think it is safe to check the camera in the Pelican?
Hi, I am not sure about Pelican, but I have travelled in Africa many times. Because I have also my still cameras with me I have to put all cameras and videos in good cases. I have also notice that airliners do not except my almost 20 kg cases as hand luggages. I have never got any problems to get my cases from custom. Also my cases has follow me in connection flights, even is very small planes inside Africa. Sometimes I have to show that XL2 really works and especially batteries are really batteries.

Anyway I am using HPRC -2700B cases (2 pieces). They are Italian, but I have seen very similar which are made in US. In matter of fact I saw American first and with google I find some European to me.
I have not US made name here but look http://www.hprc.it/ or http://www.hprc.it/products/2700b.html

With these cases I have never any dust, moisture or other problems. Even then when I saw one of my cases drop from Safari car to down. AUTSCH....

Only thing is that case(s) itself is about 6 kg (14 lb) and I must take EVF+microphone separete from body.

But, these are best what I could find.

Kari Kallonen/Finland
Ou, ofcourse these are very handy in winter time in Finland.
Kari Kallonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM   #13
New Boot

HPRC hard case option

In the spirit of full disclosure, I work with HPRC and like to come on this board to learn more about our customers, their needs, etc. I saw you guys talking about different hard case options along with HPRC Italian cases, and thought I'd chip in.

If you're looking for a good case to check in at the airport, you likely want it to have wheels and be under the 62" restriction (L+W+H) or be willing to pay the charge ($100).

There's a number of good hard case options out there (Pelican, Stormcase), but HPRC has a great wheeled case, model 2700W (http://hprc-usa.com/2700w.htm) that meets this requirement I shared above and also has a few unique features. One, it has a low-profile design on the back of the case where the handle is housed to make the case less bulky. And two, the telescoping poles for the handle are made of high strength aluminum, not plastic. This gives the case stiff handling and a more premium feel.

The 2700W case is only 13.7 lbs empty with large internal dimensions of 21.9" x 18.1" x 10". We actually use this case for Panasonic HVX200 kits with matte box, P2 gear, rods, and batteries with room to spare.

The main info page is www.hprc-usa.com and you can find where to buy by following the links at the bottom of any of the individual product pages.

Hope this info helps...
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 Cases?-amre2700w.jpg  
Garrett Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #14
Major Player

The cases have been presented and the verdict is...

Hi Jonathan,

In the early days, I thought I'd fallen in love with my Pelican 1650... until I bought a few PortaBraces. Heck, if the plane went down in the ocean I could use the Pelican as a liferaft - hello Tom Hanks in Castaway! I'm not sure about the 1620, but my empty 1650 weighs in at 32 pounds! So if the airline limit is 100 pounds, I'd be stuck paying hunreds of dollars each way for going over the weight restriction. I've also come to learn (hearing others stories in the forums) about nice looking pro gear in Pelican cases all-to-often gets "lost" or outright stolen at airports. Not a good scenario going to another country for an important shoot! On the other hand, many pros carry their critical gear on the plane - cases like the Porta are a perfect choice, easily fitting with carry-on; TSA and other airline security folks are okay with such carry on. Just be sure to bring along copies of your sales receipts and get tax waiver forms from the embassy unless you enjoy paying duty - government officials may assume you are trying to sell your gear without paying their local taxes.

Of course, the Pelican case still has its place - if anyone is looking for a 1650 at a fair price, feel free to msg me.

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Airplane Bin Sizes

I've mentioned it a couple times before on this board, but I travel about 125,000 miles a year in the sky, and some of that with my camera gear. As a priority traveller, I always get on first, and there is always room in the overheads for me. But that does not apply to everyone.

Bins in most modern big jets will handle luggage depths up to 22", with a few of the older ones only going about 19-20" deep. (Secret: For some reason, turning wheels out makes luggage fit, vs wheels in, and luggage that previously didn't fit now works.) Most of the bin heights are about 14-16" tall. The big variable is the width (or length) ...if you get on early it's basically unlimted if you can turn your luggage sideways. But in most cases you'll only have 16-24" available to squeeze it between someone else's luggage...It doesn't take too long before they'll tell you to check your luggage into the cargo hold.

The space below the seat in front of you? Forget about it...

Right now I carry my camera in a soft case because I absolutely know that it's travelling with me on the plane, and I make sure nobody messes with it. If I wasn't comfortable with my boarding times/priority, I'd make sure my case was a hard case, and the long dimension was at or below 22", with the width ideally 12-16" and the depth about 12".

If I didn't have priority boarding privileges, I'd try to get a seat towards the back of the bus. Most airlines board from the back first, and I'd make sure I was early to the line there. As you board the plane, you'll see all these beautiful empty luggage bins, and you simply want to eyeball the bin(s) closest to your seat and take the closest available one. It may not be directly above your seat (especially if you are in 33E) and you will be exiting the plane last, but at least it didn't end up in the hell-hole we call "luggage".

If you are going to check in and lock your gear, make sure your locks are TSA approved, otherwise you may find they have been cut open and you will have no security.

Liquids are not a problem anymore, but I still check in lens cleaning solutions with the check in luggage out of habit.

Finally, this applies to the big jets in most US airports, and if you don't know the airline it may be best to check with them if they have any special rules. For example, I was in Hawaii recently and they wouldn't let weights over 35 pounds in the bins, and I had to check luggage. And if you are flying the older 737's, DC-8's or 9's, or the commuter jets, you will find nothing but a laptop will fit in the bins.
Bill Zens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders