Another newbie question (RE: WB) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 4th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Another newbie question (RE: WB)

I once saw some discussion on these boards about white balancing to all sorts of different colors. These colors seemed to range from very light to very dark (eg light blue/gray to dark red). But when I try to manually white balance to differing colors, the camera won't recognize anything outside of very light grays. I thought I just might not be getting enough light on the darker colors but I pointed a light directly at a middle of the road gray board but the camera didn't pick up on it.

What am I doing wrong?
Andrew C. Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #2
Major Player

If you use manual/custom white balance you want to do this with a neutral color which means a color that has Red, Green and Blue components of the same value. white, neutral grey are some of them.

Then of course you may intentionally want to go warmer or colder so you can use colors that are warmer or colder for white balance effectively fooling the camera by telling it that what you are showing it is neutral.

I always carry a grey card with me in my bag but a white sheet of paper will work as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders