Multiple Audio Channels with One Mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 11th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Multiple Audio Channels with One Mic?

I am recording some high school sports, and have the coach miked thru the wireless. I want to record his audio manually (via the same single mic) on both rear channels 3+4...One channel at normal gain for conversational audio, the other potted waaay down for those exciting moments during the game.
Believe it or not, this works with replacing the camera microphone connection with the wireless 1/8th" connector, but I want to use the camera Mic for ambient crowd noise etc...
I could not figure out how to do this on Channels 3/4, tho...

Could I perhaps split the signal, and go thru the RCA jacks on the side of the camera? Would that seriously alter the signal in a bad way? I would assume it would cut the s/n in half, but could that be compensated enough by adjusting the volume on the side?

Or am I just being too greedy, and need to fork over the $ for an additional microphone?

Bill
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #2
Wrangler

You could buy the Canon SM-50 mic which plugs into the intelligent shoe on the camera. That audio could be your ambient on channels 3 and 4. Then use the 1/8th connector on the lav mic as you were doing to get coach audio on 1 and 2 with the manual gain settings as you mentioned.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders