Sudden problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sudden problem

I purchased an XL2 a few months ago and since have shot only three-four scenes with it (have yet to fill a single DV tape).

This morning while capturing with the cam, I played through the footage just fine, rewound, played again and started to notice a mosaic pattern on the monitor and viewfinder - was more pronounced when progressing between cuts. I rewound to check it out and it got worse - so I played previously shot and captured material on that tape and it is having the same problem.

I have been roasting through these forums and the internet about this similar problem, but have yet to see it happen "all of a sudden" like this.

I have been using Panasonic tapes, no brand switching, the different shots were all with a variety of settings and previously worked, including just a few hours before capturing today. Bought and ran a head-cleaner, which didn't solve the problem.

I've read many solutions ranging from head cleaner, to fastforward to end of tape then rewind to beginning, to have my heads serviced/replaced, to locking myself up in a gulag and pounding rocks.

Any suggestions are much appreciated,
thanks
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Stuck a new tape in, set up three shots of various types, recorded all three, replayed, no problem. Very strange, I still don't know what happened to the other tape.

I replayed the entire weird tape. The stuff I shot a few weeks ago is fine, the mosaic pattern doesn't start showing up until the things I shot last week, and it only happens about 3/4 of the way through that section, and the stuff I did last night it completely wacked. Like I said, I played through all of this stuff once today, rewound, played again and it was fubared.

weird. again, all suggestions/criticisms welcomed - I am, afterall, only a film student :-)
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Alec

when i got my XL2 first it was fine for the first shoot which was about 2 hours of shooting. I also shot some other minor stuff no problems.

Then we had a full day of ice skating to shoot and sure enough i ended up with some video dropout artifacts like you describe.

I posted here and it seems this happens with new XL2's and they need a cleaning. I cleaned mine and ever since have not had any problems.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you, that is a huge load off of my chest. I have a suspence project to shoot by mid-week and sending my camera to Irvine was really putting a monkey-icbm into those plans.
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #5
Major Player

I had similiar problems on a brand new XL2 with Panasonic MQ tapes for the first 2 weeks. I switched back to Fuji (used Fuji on my XL1s) and I haven't had a single problem since and its been 25+ tapes at least. Just my experience, not sure if it will help.

Kevin
Kevin Janisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Major Player

I use Sony Premiums and my first XL2 tape had dropouts. Cleaned the heads and haven't had a problem since.

If "Clean heads before first use" isn't in the book, it should be :)
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #7
Wrangler

Not as clear and prominent as it should be, but it is in the manual. Page 32 at the top.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #8
Major Player

When you say "clean", I take it you simply mean run a head cleaning tape through the XL2 for ten seconds?
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Dahlberg
When you say "clean", I take it you simply mean run a head cleaning tape through the XL2 for ten seconds?
That's correct Josh. Should be the first thing you do after putting a battery on the camera when you get it.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:22 PM   #10
Major Player

I had no idea. I got my Z1 two weeks ago and have shot about 5 hours of footage. I'll clean the heads tonight.
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
That's correct Josh. Should be the first thing you do after putting a battery on the camera when you get it.

-gb-
Thanks Greg... especially good to know as I'm ordering a couple of new cams this week! It sounds counter-intuitive to "clean" a brand new camera, but I guess there must be a good reason.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders