Recording Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Audio

I have been trying to utilize both XLR inputs on the back of the XL2, using two different mics( a lapel mic and a handheld mic...both wireless). I can get audio channels 1 and 2 to go just fine, however I can't tell if there's any audio being recorded on channels 3 and 4 through the lcd monitor. I also can't hear any audio from the mic on channels 3 and 4, so I'm guessing there is no audio being recorded. I was hoping there was someone who would be willing to post a set of instructions and tips to accomplish the following task: two wireless mic feeds, one each on two different people in two different areas of the the scene, two receivers and two transmitters plugged into each of the XLR inputs on the rear of the camera, and finally having all audio feeds available in post. Thanks for the knowledge.
Tom Woodworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Tom, welcome to the world of audio on the XL2. This particular topic has been discussed exhaustively in the forums (and I mean ALOT) and using the 'search' function at the top of the community pages will give you a weath of information about how to achieve the audio set up you desire. One of the more concise set of instructions was posted by our Kennelmaster, Chris Hurd in the following thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=46647

It sounds like you already have the connections made, so you'll want to focus on step 5 - many other discussion regarding this topic discuss various elements of this process, but those steps pretty much lay it out.

As far as capturing the 4 channels of audio in post...that will depend upon your software. Most capture applications at this time will require you to capture the second 2 channels in a second pass. There are a few applications on the PC that allow it, but I don't use one very much so I can't remember which ones...(I think Scenealyzer [sp?] is one). If you are using a Mac, so far I don't think there are any apps that will let you capture each of the audio tracks as separate channels in one pass. You will have to use two passes in applications like FCP, QT7, or Audacity to name a few.

Generally, apps will allow you to capture tracks 1 & 2, or tracks 3 & 4. or all tracks as a combined mix. If you want to retain the separation, you will have to capture channel 1 & 2 on one pass, and then 3 & 4 on another pass. Tracks 3 & 4 are separate left & right of a theoretical stereo pair and will retain their separation with your mono input source. If you wish to center-channel these mono inputs in post, you will need to do it as per whatever is appropriate in the app you are using.

Hope this helps.
-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders