Short(er) Guy: How to shoot better at eye level at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 11th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Short(er) Guy: How to shoot better at eye level

I'm about 5'5" and when I shoot people who are taller than me standing with the XL2 shoulder mounted, I have a bit of trouble "looking up" at them. The footage can just look slightly wierd. I'd rather have the lens at more of an "eye level" position.
Any equipment or technique recommendations?
Thanks!
Rick Betancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #2
Capt. Quirk

I'm not as short as you, at 6'1", but have had some issues in the past shooting over crowds. I know it isn't the same, but... what I do, is I take the top box off of my rolling camera box, and stand on it. It boosts me that extra foot when I need it. Try that with a soft bag!
Old November 11th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Rick,

I have the opposite problem, at six four, I have to crouch and slump to bring the lens down to 'eye level' for interviews and such. Best case scenario of course, use a tripod. But for run and gun, you're going to have to come up with a shoulder pad that sits on your shoulder and you rest the camera on that.

Or compromise with a 'monopod' that will set the camera at the right height, but allow you to pick it up and move in a hurry.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Major Player

I've had similar problems with being too short, but I would suppose that this is an issue with everyone when the subject is taller than the camera-person. If you get too close, you can get the taller person's head in frame but only the top of anyone elses heads are vissible.

If it's really important that I get this person in frame, I'll twist the viewfinder down and hold the camera just high enough above my head to get it right. This would obviously be tough on the arms for any length of time... but for those relatively short (no pun intended) instances when I'm close enough to the person for this to be an issue, it works. For more lengthy shots, it might just be a good idea to move back so you can get everyone in frame from our [shorter] vantage.

I like the shoulder cusion idea.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #5
New Boot

Hey, thanks for the great ideas. I think that based on the situation, I can use one or more of the ideas!
Rick Betancourt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders