Making xl2 look like xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 14th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Making xl2 look like xl1s

I just got my xl2 today and I own a xl2. I have a client that wants to shoot with the two cameras. My question is does any one know the prsets I would have to use to make them look alike?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
Trustee

I have some settings posted somewhere in the forum... pretty easy to match, make sure your XL1s is flat (all settings in the middle)...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey Ash,

How must the setting in the xl2 be if the settings in xl1s is set flat. Must it also be set to flat? Is it possible to make the same changes in both and them to look the same. I want the camer still to preform good and not just the standard factory setting because then the quality wont be as impressive as I know the camera can do.

And thanks for the reply.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Stole this from another thread.... Things to check... make sure the gain is set to zero on both. Make sure they are both white balanced the same.

I would recommend for the color matrix/gamma to be normal, the knee to high, black to middle, color gain +2, color phase +2 toward red, Red Gain +2, Green gain -2, Blue gain, +2, sharpness -3 to -6, set-up level -2, Master Pedestal -3 to -6

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #5
New Boot

XL2 settings

Thanks a million ash this is exactly what I needed to know. I will be filming with the camera the november 21. I just goth the camera on the 14 th of november. I have been using hte xl1s for the last 2,5 years and I know it like the back of my hand. So I haven't had time to play with the xl2 as of yet .

Once again Thanks.
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jeffrey,

You will have to do some work in post to get the two cameras to match. The CCDs in the XL2 are completely redesigned from the ones in the XL1. They give a truer color but it means that you'll never get the two cameras to match perfectly in the field.

(It's mostly a matter of desaturating the XL1 footage or increasing the saturation on the XL2 footage.)
Eric Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Tourist

Blue Barn XL1 Preset

Thanks Ash!

I had the same issue this week with trying to match the XL2 & 1. I took your settings and made a preset for those of us that use the Blue Barn preset manager. I would upload it, but I guess my upload privileges aren't there yet :). If anyone wants it, feel free to email me: jake@jtapia.com. Thanks guys!
Jake Tapia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Wanna make the XL2 look like an XL1 s?

Paint the area with the frame-rate controls red, rip off the XLR jacks and shoudler-pad, buy an FU-500 Viefinder and a 16x lens.

Couldn't resist...
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Tapia
Thanks Ash!

I had the same issue this week with trying to match the XL2 & 1. I took your settings and made a preset for those of us that use the Blue Barn preset manager. I would upload it, but I guess my upload privileges aren't there yet :). If anyone wants it, feel free to email me: jake@jtapia.com. Thanks guys!
Jake,

If you would, just open your .bbp file in Notepad, copy the text out of the file and paste it into a thread here. None of us except the Wranglers and above have upload capability, so we just post the content of the .bbp file. When you do that we can copy that text out of your post and paste it into a Notepad document, name it and upload it via the BlueBarn Pictures Preset Manager.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:00 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Tapia
Thanks Ash!

Jake,

Email the file to me (click on my name at left) and I will make sure it gets posted to the Bluebarn Presets thread. Having an XL-1 myself, I am very interested in getting the two to match up.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders