presets - syncing DVX and XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

presets - syncing DVX and XL2?

Hi,

For some reason I can't search the forum(?) for this (or anything at the moment).

Anyway, I just got a DVX to go with my 2 XL2s and am playing around trying to get it to match them as much as possible for multicam situations. I want to shoot as cleanly as possible and then add Magic Bullet filters to give the cine look (they look amazing btw, and render really quickly since the Magic Bullet Editors 2 came out.

What are the best settings for the XL2 to 'prep' for software like Magic Bullet? Plus, any ideas on DVX settings to match these? Ash? Anyone?

Thanks very much.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Trustee

DVX 100a? or b?

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Here's an interesting sidebar.

I recently shot some documentary footage along with three DVX's. One old, one "a" and one 'b", along with my xl2.

At the edit session, it seemed all of my footage had a very VERY high pitched, random 'squeak' in it. Almost like the mic was picking up a bad tape transport, a very erratic 'squeaky wheel' kind of sound, that would come and go. We listened to different tapes I shot on different days with different microphone combinations... and it was present on all of them, sometimes in one channel, sometimes the other, sometimes both. Horrifying - Partly because it was great footage, and partly because I didn't catch it when I was shooting. I mentioned that I had never heard this problem before, and I edit with a DSR 11.

The director thought a moment, and then pulled the tape out of his Panny (which he had been using as capture) and put it in a sony deck. Sure enough, the "Squeak" was completely gone.

Apparently, there was an issue between tapes recorded on MY XL2 and played back on his OLD DVX100. Don't know if thats an issue specific to MY camera, HIS camera, or all DVX/XL2 combo's... but it was an issue. Thankfully, we had a workaround available. I've played my tapes back on my camera, my DSR11, a small portable Sony deck (forget which model) and a GL2. No problems with any of them.

Just so you know, if it comes up for you.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks Richard, worth knowing.

Ash, it's an 'AE', PAL.

cheers.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Trustee

To match the DVX and XL2 in 16:9 mode you will have to turn the sharpness ALL the way down on the XL2, you will need to set the blacks to press and turn the set-up level and master pedestal down a couple notches. The knee will have to be set to middle or high. Bump the red gain 2 notches and the color gain a notch or two.

Set the DVX detail to thin lines, the knee to low, couple ticks toward green on the color.

The best way to match them up is to use NORMAL gamma. The DVX models get very noisy in the cinegamma modes. For the record the 100b cuts much better with the XL2.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

great stuff, thanks, I'll give it a go. I've always used the cine gamma on the XL2 and also applied post filters for a film look - do you think there's any need, is it overkill? it looks good so suppose that's the acid test.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders