The only thing I am still confused about. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 1st, 2005, 11:31 AM   #1
Major Player

The only thing I am still confused about.

ALRIGHT!

For the last time... High Knee vs. Low Knee... Which more closley approximates the natural highlight curve of film? Does high refer to the high point on the chart, and thus, a more sharp cutoff, or does Low refer to the amount of detail in highlights? I have gotten conflicting reports.

GAH!

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Trustee

LOW knee is what you want. This can sometimes give a bit of a milky look if you are in shadow but it does emulate film better. High knee will cause highlights to blow out to pure white.

To get the most detail and range out of an XL2 you can set the knee to low and the black to stretch. There is no other 1/3" SD CCD camera that can get that much detail and information out of the image.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ash.

Love all your presets and such. Good to have an expert around.
I don't like the look of stretched blacks, looks quite video-e. Ugh
Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
I don't like the look of stretched blacks, looks quite video-e. Ugh
Matt
Stretching the blacks though will preserve detail during acquistion so that you have something to post process with. That's the whole concept in a nutshell. You can't work with what you don't have. Another good example is that you can't recover blown out highlights so definitely lower the knee so that the curve does a more gradual roll-off in response to brighter areas.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders