Teleprompter/tripod for XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Teleprompter/tripod for XL2

Looking for the best combo of a teleprompter and tripod for the XL2. Most of the Bogen tripods hold around 17 pounds. That leaves me with about 9 pounds for a teleprompter. Has anyone found a good combo that works out there? Thanks!
Camren Cheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #2
Trustee

Check out the prompterpeople site. I was going to buy the 11" model for a job, but it fell through. I think it's www.prompterpeople.com.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

You may find a suitable teleprompter solution here: http://www.videouniversity.com/
Ken E. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

We had a problem with this. We have a pretty bulky prompter. I think its the 17'. The tripod we have (Its a little manfrotto with the 300 head I think) is too flimsey. So we investigated into an appropriate ripod which is overkill for the XL2. Its good when we work with the prompter but aside from that its just too much and too expensive. A bit like using a bulldozer to build a sandcastle. Since we only use a prompter 10% of the time for shooting we are just going to rent a tripod on the days we need it.
Do post bak if you find a solution.
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #5
New Boot

I think I'd rather put my money out for one tripod rather than having to rent an additional teleprompter tripod. But, the fact that its kinda overkill makes me feel like there's not a great solution.

I'm looking at the Bogen 316 at B&H that's around $1100 along with Prompter People's Broadcast 15 for $1199. Hopefully that tripod wouldn't be too much on other shoots without the prompter and I'd be looking at under $2500 for the whole thing and not have to worry about trying to find a suitable tripod to hold everything. The capacity of the Bogen 3191 is 35 lbs. Any lower drops down to 22lbs, which would be cutting it too close with the 14 lb prompter and my XL2 at 7.7 lbs. Thoughts?
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #6
New Boot

Here are the links:

http://www.prompterpeople.com/broadcast15detail.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links. I will check those out.
We decided to go the rental route after to talking to several reps about possible solutions. We are just in a middle ground where one type of tripod is too small and another is too big. We also do a lot of dolly shots and the smaller tripod just isn't cutting it - too bumpy.
Anywho good luck and if you find anymore please share.
Thanks
Edit- FYI That's the tripod we have. Its not very heavy duty
And that's the prompter we have- Its pretty good
Kevin Kocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camren Cheline
I think I'd rather put my money out for one tripod rather than having to rent an additional teleprompter tripod. But, the fact that its kinda overkill makes me feel like there's not a great solution.

I'm looking at the Bogen 316 at B&H that's around $1100 along with Prompter People's Broadcast 15 for $1199. Hopefully that tripod wouldn't be too much on other shoots without the prompter and I'd be looking at under $2500 for the whole thing and not have to worry about trying to find a suitable tripod to hold everything. The capacity of the Bogen 3191 is 35 lbs. Any lower drops down to 22lbs, which would be cutting it too close with the 14 lb prompter and my XL2 at 7.7 lbs. Thoughts?
Here's what I got for my XL2. I'm expecting to get a prompter in the future.

try: http://tinyurl.com/86wh6. I bought it locally for less than at B&H.

Sorry, You already have the prompter? Oops. Try the Sachtler 6 instead of the 4.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders