2:35 1... the final frontier at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 29th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Major Player

2:35 1... the final frontier

I have recently made myself a small, acetate 2:35.1 guide sheet that snaps into my viewfinder (and gaffer taped my LCD monitor!~) for a short I am doing that is in 2.35:1

I am curious. Do you think a product like this would sell (cheap, like $5 each), or is there a way someone could use the software developers kit to engineer a small piece of software that adds two thin white lines to be 2.35:1 guides?

I think that would be better, but my soultion isn't bad either! (will post pic soon).
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #2
New Boot

I think this would be a great idea, but if the XL2 viewfinder underscans then is it beneficial to have such a device? Unless you could somehow compensate for it, but I'm not sure that's possible.
Geoff Voorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Voorhees
I think this would be a great idea, but if the XL2 viewfinder underscans
Actually I believe the XL2 viewfinder (and just about all prosumer cameras) overscans.

These terms come from CRT's. If the screen overscans then the beam sweeps wider than the physical tube and you don't see all the image. If the screen underscans then the full sweep of the electron beam fits inside the physical tube and you see the entire image.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi
recently i mounted this panasonic anamorphic adapter on my xl lense. then i shot in 16:9 and the result was 2: 35,1. in my viewfinder the image was a stretched 16:9 letterbox, which was still viewable. the picture i got was very
wide, and nice to watch.
Stephan Loehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Boyd
The monochrome FU-1000 viewfinder UNDERSCANS. Shows all the beam scan.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Major Player

would it be possible to simply make two white lines appear inthe viewfinder via the SDK? Even if it "overscans", you can still assume your framing using those lines. I mean, I have no problem framing my 16:9 perfectly despite the overscan. Just need to keep it in mind.

Any ideas? My acetate thingees aren't bad, but it keeps falling out :P I just need to shoot 2:351

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM   #7
Major Player

i think aspectcorrect.com already do something like this.
Yasser Kassana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #8
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasser Kassana
i think aspectcorrect.com already do something like this.
Hello everyone,

We actually haven't made our clings for this camera but I would be glad to since the request has been made to do so...

I just moved my production office last week so I am trying to become operational again with and I will be out of the country next week on a shoot.

So, I will hopefully have a version of this by the 3rd week of the month.

Clay

http://www.aspectcorrect.com

http://www.planbproductions.com
Clay Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders