Newbie Q re my XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie Q re my XL2

Took delivery of my XL2 several months back and am continuing to learn about this incredible camera. One question (actually, many but I'll only pester you with this one). Is it "normal" for the Viewfinder Assembly to be able to move about 1/2" from side to side? I don't know if this was a part of the design I've never noticed before or if it has twisted a bit loose on it's way in and out of the case. Many thanks in advance.
Sprague
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes it's normal, some users of the XL1/XL1s/XL2 already complained a bit on this, because it can be irritating while shooting handheld sometimes.
You can just screw the screw a bit more so it becomes vast again.
(Don't know if that last sentence was correct english, hope you understand what I'm trying to say)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response and that was perfect English! Actually I meant once the whole assembly was screwed down and tightened. The whole verticle piece that the viewfinder is mounted on doesn't seem as solid as it should, I'm able to (gently) wiggle it perhaps 1/2" from side to side.
Sprague
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well, I don't know exactly what you mean (and I don't have the XL2, but the XL1s, I don't suspect there is much difference, but you never know) so I'll leave it to a real XL2 owner to answer your question maybe a bit more in detail.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, that is perfectly normal. Infact, I find it good for handheld work, cause it lets my head bob around a bit without jostling the camera. Dont worry about it, as long as it isn't flying all over the place, it should wiggle a bit. I mean, it's onlt stuck on there by a piece that is about 1/2 inch across, and it aint titanium, so it's to be expected.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I rest easy!
Sprague
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders