XL2 airport screening at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Player

XL2 airport screening

I bought a Kata bag from one of the sponsors to take my XL2 on a trip. It's a carry on size bag. I was wondering if while going through airport screening if I should let it go through the X Ray machine, or should I ask for it to be hand checked? I'm guessing they will ask for me to remove it form the bag, similar to what they do with laptop computers?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

When I travelled with mine

I pulled it out of the bag (kata ccc-10) and carried it via shoulder strap, set it in a bin and it went through the xray.. then they had me turn it on. it worked fine, still does. but they did hand search my stuff.
allot of the news photographers I know carry them on without a case, but then they get a seat bought for the gear. *must be nice*
http://nine13media.net/
Frank Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Wrangler

I don't know that you will have any option except putting it on the conveyor belt. I travelled pretty much last summer and fall, and at every airport they tell you to remove all video cameras from their cases and send through in a tray (heh, does an XL2 even fit in one of those trays?). When you're in a long line with lots of people you are probably not going to feel like you should ask for special treatment - or at least I don't - I just put my Z1 in the tray and send the case through empty. Never any problems. I don't see how the x-rays could do any damage but maybe someone else has a theory on that. I haven't seen them ask people to turn on cameras or laptops going through the line. If they pull you aside then that's probably another matter.

Most important though, go to your airline's website and look at their carry-on policy to be sure your case meets the guidelines. I wouldn't blindly trust a manufacturer's claim that the bag "meets airline requirements." They have been pretty strict about carry-ons whenever I've been on a full flight since the overhead compartments fill up quickly. Worst case scenario, they might say you would have to check the camera case. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but this is something which worries me. I got a bag with a molded plastic inner shell which could survive being checked just in case this ever happens.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the same Kata CCC 10 the previous poster has. In case the airline says the bag is too big, I can always disassemble the camera and fit it in a smaller bag.
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Tourist

xl1 and security

I travelled to and around the USA in September 2004. I had an XL1, Battery belt,spare battery, MK300 mike, and all the usual garbage. No problems. I did get all baggage thoroughly searched. I guess the battery belt did show up suspiciously on XRays. All this went through Xrays with no harm at all to Cam or Tapes.
Royston Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Trustee

For carry-on baggage, I separate all the parts of both my Canon XL equipment and Pro SLR equipment, and fit them snugly, with all my different lenses inside a LowePro rucksack (very heavy when filled!), and then simply place it on the X-ray machine conveyer belt. I've never had problems on flights worldwide.
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
New Boot

I concur with all the other posts here. I've traveled all over the US, Canada, and Mexico with an XL-1 & XL-2 in Porta Brace bags and never had a problem with an X-Ray. They use to hand check the camera and make me jump thru hoops, but in the last 2 years or so they don't even pull it out of the case anymore. I suppose the TSA is more acustomed to seeing pro-cameras on their screens. I've sent tapes both blank and recorded thru several times and it didn't effect them at all. Just don't send any film faster than 400 through.

The only problem I've had with gear is that i had a Betacam with an Anton Bauer as a carry-on and the screener decided that she didn't like the looks of the Anton Bauer and made me check it (which cost me $100 in excess baggage). I pleaded with her that the battery was no defferent than the Duracell in my CD player to no use. So, after that, I check the bricks and only carry on the small Canon batterys.

Travel Tip: Always carry-on your camera with a charged battery, tape, mic, and a spare T-shirt, socks, and underwear just incase they loose your checked gear. (Which they tend to do often!)

And when traveling internationally, make darn sure you have all the proper permits and paperwork to allow both you and your gear into another country...and then back into the US again.

"TV said that? Then it must be true." -Homer Simpson
Jeff Carrion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders