Blue Barn Pictures Preset Manager... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old January 22nd, 2006, 02:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Blue Barn Pictures Preset Manager...

I posted for help in the Blue Barn Pictures Preset Manager forum, but I'm not getting any response. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what might be the problem since I can't get the program to work on my PC. I followed the installation instructions carefully, and was able to upload one preset to my camera. But since then, any attempt to upload another preset just causes the program to give an error message and shut down. When I restart, I can use the program to read the presets from the camera, but again, any attempt to upload a preset TO the camera results in the same error message and shut down.

The camera IS on the EXT/CONT setting, is powered on, plugged in the firewire port, and on the first install try, pointed to the right place for the driver ( C:\Program Files\BlueBarnPictures\Camera Storage 1394 WIA Driver). I tried uninstalling the program, but when I re-install, I no longer get the window that asks where I want to point the driver, just a window that pops up when I turn the camera on asking if I want to record a movie or take no action.

Anyone out there experience this problem? Any suggestions?
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2006, 04:28 AM   #2
Major Player

answering my own post here, but I've found if I just keep trying after about 3 times it will load the preset. Not that big of deal, but it would still be nice to figure out the problem...
Old January 23rd, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I know we are abit off the topic of the forum section ... but.

cal,
I have not experianced this problem... but then since I am a network engineer by day, I have a pretty stripped down and stable version of xp on my machine and turn off all the unnessacary garbage that windows loads - like theames, wireless zero config, terminal services, secondary logon... etc. (long list)
what are the versions of os (ie XP service pack 2) ?
http://nine13media.net/
Frank Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Major Player

uhh...

Search me Frank, but thanks for trying. I'm not a computer tech guy. I have this debate with my wife all the time. It seems like in todays world just because you use a computer, people expect that you'll know all about how the inner workings of it. I just use programs, and hope that they work. Its much the same as using my gas oven. When I need to cook, I turn it on, but I don't know a thing about gas pipe fittings.

I do have lots of different little programs on my computer, and you'll probably right, there's probably some little conflict somewhere. It happened with burning DVD's. I had a new external sound card installed, and it actually conflicted with the DVD burner (wha???) so that my DVD's kept crashing mid-burn.

It seems to work one out of three tries, which normally would be a pain but its so easy to load up again and give it another shot, it doesn't matter. It's not like I'm going to be using the preset manager every day.

Thanks for asking though, it's the thought that counts!
Old January 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Doesn't the Menu have to be set to DV Control ON also. You might try that.
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Major Player

The DV control is for having the XL2 control and external recording device, not the other way round. When the camera is set to EXT/CONT the DV control ON/OFF isn't available as an option, same with VCR mode. Thanks for trying, its no big deal. I probably just have a program that conflicts with the preset manager.
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Are you certain that you're powering the camera up in Ext. Cont. (external control) mode, after connecting the FireWire cable to both camera and PC?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Absolutely. Every time. It still takes about 3 tries to load a preset, but the important thing is that it does eventually work, so I'm not really worried about it. Thanks for trying.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders