2 sound sources - help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old February 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
New Boot

2 sound sources - help

This is driving me nuts - but I musst be able to do it.
I want to record sound from the xl2 mic, and an attached radio mic via one of the rear canon connections.
Now I thought this would be easy but...
I set audio 1 to the front mic - ok this for so good
I the set audio 2 to the rear but only get sound from the front mic unless I set audio 1 to rear... and then I only get sound from the audio rear as in radio mic. I have tried every thing... swapping inputs, going from 16bit to 12 bit1/2,3/4...???
What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate any help
Mark Bellringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

you need to change in the menu from 16bit audio to 12bit audio
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #3
New Boot

There must be something else?

Hi Mike
thanks for your reply but not luck

As I understand you I set the audio to 12 bit - done
then
set audio 1 input select to front mic - done

set audio 2 input select to rear - done

only get audio from front mic...??

Should I have canon plug in 1/3 or 2/4... neither seem to make any difference?
Old February 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bellringer
Hi Mike
thanks for your reply but not luck

As I understand you I set the audio to 12 bit - done
then
set audio 1 input select to front mic - done

set audio 2 input select to rear - done

only get audio from front mic...??

Should I have canon plug in 1/3 or 2/4... neither seem to make any difference?

This got me the first time to....as well as countless other posters who have dropped into these forums the past year....This topic really needs to be a sticky.

Unless there is something amiss with your setup, from what you described, it should work okay. What you are probably not doing is toggling between the audio monitor sequences. There is a little tiny button on the left camera panel right below the main function dial. It is labeled 'audio monitor'. You need to toggle this little doodad while you are listening to your headphones to switch between your three options......

CH1 & 2
CH 3 &4
CH 1,2,3,4 mix

If this is not the solution, you might need to provide more detail about how you are setting up your audio...but I'm willing to bet that this little button will do the trick. Good luck.
-Jon

Last edited by Jonathan Jones; February 12th, 2006 at 12:55 AM.
Jonathan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a million!!!

Thanks soooooooooo much - thats what it was!!! How did you find out about this.
Hey if you ever come to New Zealand let me know - I owe you a few beers!
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thats amazing! I watched the XL2 instructural DVD and don't remember the butten getting a mention(or I could have missed that bit)I wondered what it was for ,and now i know.Great tip.
Joe Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Thanks soooooooooo much - thats what it was!!! How did you find out about this.
Hey if you ever come to New Zealand let me know - I owe you a few beers!
If I am ever so blessed as to have the opportunity to visit New Zealand you can rest assured that I will take you up on your offer. As far as discovering the tip, well I found it by accident after plugging in multiple audio inputs late late late one night, and found I couldn't hear them after switching to 12 bit...it was late and I was groggy so I figured I would sleep on it and start fresh in the morning..at which point I figured I was missing something and looked a little closer to note the audio monitor button - then it seemed obvious...but I guess I just had a blind spot earlier.
-Jon
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Barker
Thats amazing! I watched the XL2 instructural DVD and don't remember the butten getting a mention(or I could have missed that bit)I wondered what it was for ,and now i know.Great tip.
As far as I can remember, I think it is mentioned (very quickly) in the DVD as I have it also, but I didn't catch it at the time. I found that with the DVD, I tended to zone out alot and discovered it was better at keeping my attention if I watched it in portions. After I found the audio monitor button, I went back to the DVD and discovered that I had just missed that portion - likewise, I missed it in the manual - but I am pretty sure it is in there as well - you just have to look for it a little.

I still think this particular issue needs to be made a sticky in this forum (along with the steps required to set up the 4 ch. audio input as that seems to be the most asked question in the XL2 forums) "Search" also generates a host of posts on this, but since the 'search' drop-down button is not very distinguished on the page menu, I think many people miss it. But I agree with you, it is a pretty important tip IMO.
-Jon
Old February 12th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #9
New Boot

Dvd?

Hey thanks again - what is the DVD you two have - and where did you get it? Is it a tutorial on the XL2?
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Hey thanks again - what is the DVD you two have - and where did you get it? Is it a tutorial on the XL2?

Its called the "Ultimate Guide to the Canon XL2 - presented by Greg Salman"
and can be found at www.canondvguide.com

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders