Team XL2 with DVX100B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 10th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Team XL2 with DVX100B

What a great forum (first timer) !

I currently own an XL2.
We will be using 16:9, 24P.

Wondering if the DVX100B would make a good second camera?

The question is: will we be able to match the two in post with no problem or will it require alot of more work or extra steps?

Some reasons for considering the dvx100b:
- Smaller size
- Be able to use a smaller full stabilizer (cost will be reduced)
- The option of using the onboard LCD

Or should I just get a second XL2 (I am so pleased with it but had to consider the versatility of a smaller camera)

Has anyone have any experience doing this?
I searched the forums and did not see a discussion on this...

Thank you in advance for your time!
Juan Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Major Player

I use both regularly and would say matching won't be too big a deal - they look pretty close to begin with and a few minor tweaks are all that will be needed. However, the XL2 will be sharper if you're shooting in 16:9 and that may not be as easy to match.
If you have the money, I think a second XL2 is a much better idea since you'll pretty much eliminate any matching needed, and if the LCD there is too small for your needs, just add a larger one. The full stabilizer is the only thing that really workds against the XL2, but other than that, I'd go with a second XL2 if money permits.
I'm actually editing a stage production now where a DVX100 and an XL2 were used, so if you'd like to see some frame grabs, let me know and I'll email them to you.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #3
New Boot

Team XL2 and DVX100B

Andrew,

Thanks for all your help!

and now my other XL2 is on the way.....

again, Great forum!!!!
Juan Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Regular Crew

My only recommendation on the second XL2 would be to get it configured slightly differently...Maybe get the second cam as a "body only", and get a different lens (such as the 3XXL or 16X manual) than the standard one that comes with it.

I have the 3XXL and std 20X lens (for my single camera) , and cannot say which one I use more. Having two of the same lens would be painful for me.

(Of course, that would make one cam a wide angle only, and the other a TP only which may not fit into your plans...)
Bill Zens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Rivera
Andrew,

Thanks for all your help!

and now my other XL2 is on the way.....

again, Great forum!!!!
Juan,

When you get your second camera, be sure to go buy a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable because you have just gained the ability to transfer settings from one camera to the other via firewire. That alone will cut down on your post production headaches wrt camera matching.

Congrats on your second XL-2!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Team XL2 and XL2

Andrew, Bill and Greg:

Thank you very much for all your valuable information.

I will be investing on a 3XXL Lens in the near future and yes I already have the 4pin to 4pin firewire which we have been using to get the data from the camera to Premier.

Now I really see even a greater need for the Blue Barn Pictures XL2 presets to keep everything in sync and right at our finger tips.

Thanks you again for your time and all your help...

Sincerly,
Juan
Juan Rivera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders