The SD to HD bottom line.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

The SD to HD bottom line....

I am an Xl2 owner who is gearing up for a short film shoot. I am lucky enough to be using a redrock micro converter and gear, and am planning a pretty big shoot for a DV short. I have seen many on this forum discuss uprezzing their XL2 footage (or DV footage in general) to the likes of 720p. For showing uprezzed footage like this on a big screen, what is the real opinion? Any examples would also be appreciated, as well as what types of software or systems are being used to accomplish this task. THANKS!!!
Brian K Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Nobody has any opinions?
Brian K Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I did some tests recently in which widescreen SD footage from a DVX100 with an anamorphic lens uprezzed reasonably well to 720p (see link below) using Procoder Express, but in general I'm not a big fan of uprezzing. If uprezzing worked we could use cell phone cameras to shoot IMAX movies, and that obviously isn't going to happen. That said, be sure to shoot in widescreen DV mode for your project, because 4x3 SD footage converted to widescreen SD or HD output looks like crap.

http://www.videomem.com/camera_compa...-15/index.html
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #4
New Boot

"Instant HD" software

Hi all,

Just came across this. There is a link to an article with some before and after shots.

Check it out: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/instanthd.html

Let us know your findings.

Regards,

Martin
Martin Hawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Hawkes
Looks like simple anti-aliasing to me, and I don't see any comparison to HD resolution footage of the same scene. This may make your SD footage look smoother on a big HDTV, but it will still look like SD footage.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders