Iris/exposure Fluctuates!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 9th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Iris/exposure Fluctuates!!!

Is this normal, or is it not? I shoot manual all the time with my XL2 & 20X lens, mostly in 24pn. Why do I still see a fluctuation in exposure when panning the camera or if someone might move slightly off frame or into frame? I notice it mostly if I'm pointed at a white wall. Also, the indicator when looking in the VF indicates it fluctuating. I don;t see anything on the lens itself to make sure exposure is maunual.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Trustee

Have you left the White Balance and Gain dB on "A"? This will also cause the exposure to fluctuate during a pan, so it is better to leave the balance button locked or on 1 and the gain on 0 or -3dB. If you are not in Manual, but in AV or TV, try to also press the exposure lock prior to panning.
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

And have you checked to see that your shutter speed is locked down?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Everything is off A. Gain always set at 0, and I never use A setting for white ballance. I used a white ballance I had stored in position 3.

Tony, as far as shutter speed, I use 1/48 shutter speed especially when shooting 24pn. As far as locking it down, I've never noticed any setting where it can be locked down. Am i missing something? My view finder always indicates it staying on 1/48 while shooting.
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Is there a setting for manual iris on the 20X lens? Bottom line it seems that the iris setting fluctuates as indicated in the viewfinder, bobbing back and forth as I'm panning the camera toward the white wall. Or is a manual iris setting only possible on the manual lens?
Old April 9th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6
Trustee

The indicator will always fluctuate in anything but auto which will always try to center it. If you frame things cinematically the indicator is useless as it indicates the exposure of the entire frame, not the subject you may be focusing on. So dont even look at the indicator.

What mode are you in? The some of the modes trump the manual settings...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm in "M" (manual) mode. I never really use AV or TV, etc... when shooting.

BTW, thanks for all your responses :)

Hopefully there's some answer to what I'm seeing.

My exact settings are the following: M mode, manual focus, manual White ballance, 1/48 shutter , 24pn frame rate & 0 gain.

Last edited by Joseph Andolina; April 9th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Joseph,

Do you see these fluctuations in your NLE?

- Jesse
Jesse Redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:15 AM   #9
Trustee

Filming outdoors where light intensity can change dramatically within seconds, working in MF mode - by adjusting both iris and shutter speeds - may sometimes take too much time to keep up with the rapidly changing light levels.

Some of my work is in MF mode, but I often prefer to work in AV mode (brought over from my years in still photography), as this gives me full and instant exposure control.

In AV mode, just one press of the exposure lock button provides a non-fluctuating exposure during a long pan between light and dark areas of the scene.

Pressing the exposure lock button also provides both the shutter and iris readings in the viewfinder, and the odd click of the +- EV dial helps provide added adjustments when you shoot directly towards the sun or a bright background.
Old April 16th, 2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

thanls again for all responses. i will try seeing what i can acheive in AV mode.
Old April 16th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick
Filming outdoors where light intensity can change dramatically within seconds, working in MF mode - by adjusting both iris and shutter speeds - may sometimes take too much time to keep up with the rapidly changing light levels.

Some of my work is in MF mode, but I often prefer to work in AV mode (brought over from my years in still photography), as this gives me full and instant exposure control.

In AV mode, just one press of the exposure lock button provides a non-fluctuating exposure during a long pan between light and dark areas of the scene.

Pressing the exposure lock button also provides both the shutter and iris readings in the viewfinder, and the odd click of the +- EV dial helps provide added adjustments when you shoot directly towards the sun or a bright background.

Like you Tony, I also like shooting in Av mode. It lets me keep the iris wide open for minimum DOF when desired and I usually click the AE offset just enough to eliminate most zebras (within contrast limits of course). I find that the AE in zero offset is a bit on the 'hot' side exposure wise.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders