XL2 main fuse blown -- FU-1000 culprit! - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 14th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #61
Regular Crew

I've swapped Viewfinders between different cameras with no ill effects before.

I'm still not 100% sure that there isn't some sort of problem with the JVC viewfinder itself and if it is where my problem lies, then it might just work fine and it's not Cannon's fault at all. But....

If you're going to use a standard viewfinder plug (such as on the XL2), you should use standard viewfinder engineering. Is there ANY other plug (FW issues notwithstanding) you could put in ANY port on this camera that would cause it to blow a fuse?

Not unless you make your own XLR to 120v AC "adapter"....
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #62
Major Player

Need help finding a replacement part for the FU-1000

I realize I might not be posting this in the right forum but since it's about the FU-1000 and is used with my XL2 (not really relevant in this case though), might as well post it here. Mods feel free to move this thread if it is judged misplaced.

So I bought a used FU-1000 that was broken when I got it (I knew about it at the time). This was a couple years ago. It doesn't really affect functionality too much. What is broken is 2 out of the 3 plastic hooks that attach the cylinder eyepiece part to the mirror/viewfinder unit. So I need to tape it down so it can hold firmly in place. This over the past couple years has been somewhat of a pain because I need to unhook it at times to use my Tiffen x2 magnifier which also attaches via those hooks. I'll spare you the rest of the details about the functionality.

Now a couple months ago I decided I had had enough taping and untaping this thing and wanted to buy the replacement part (the cylinder part) from Canon Canada. From there the nightmare began. I was in contact with the part rep for Canon Canada during that period trying to figure what part I needed, with no cooperation whatsoever. I was trying as best as I could to describe it, I even sent a Jpeg with the detailed graphic info on what I needed. I could have spoken to this girl in Chinese it wouldn't have made a difference, she had no idea what I was talking about nor did she seem all that willing to help me out anyway. I've just had it with her. She never returns my calls, can't give me a straight answer on any of the questions I have, I'm through wasting my time. I've tried Ikegami also with no success.

Now ranting aside, I need to find somebody within either Canon Canada or Canon USA that will be ABLE and WILLING to help me out find that part. It's so ridiculous when you think about it, it's just a little plastic/metal tube with a couple of plastic hooks. I can't for the life of me imagine how this thing, even with the glass element mounted on it, could cost much more than $200. But I need to find it and regardless of my efforts in the last couple months, I can't seem to find a competent rep that will know the product, what to look for and how to find/get/buy it. I guess it's the downside of dealing with big businesses such as Canon, you can kiss the personalized customer service goodbuy.

So if anybody here has the name, phone number or Email contact to ANYBODY from either Canon Canada or Canon USA that will be able to quickly and efficiently resolve this ordeal I would be eternally grateful.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Following up...

My viewfinder was fine so plugging in a standard viewfinder into the port on the XL2 will blow the fuse.

This might all be covered in the manual, but the guy who originally got the camera can't find it and I havn't downloaded it yet.
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Thanks for the follow-up

I'll stick with the standard viewfinder.
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #65
Major Player

I don't have the info in front of me, but go to Canon's website and get the # for a repair facility. Ask to speak with someone there. They can probably send you the replacement part. There's a repair facility in New Jersey.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #66
Regular Crew

Irvine today

I'm back from the shoot that was almost destroyed by this bug. 2400 miles away in the Pacific. To reiterate: My fuse-fry happened when plugging in the standard viewfinder while powered up on battery (XL-2). While this may sound anecdotal to others, to me it is a fact.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

"Then don't do that!"

I'm driving to Irvine today and will give reports as available.
Old July 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM   #67
Major Player

Thanks I'll give that a try. I was under the impression the Canon USA's repair facilities weren't allowed to deal with Canadian Customers (well that's what I was told anyway) but it's worth a shot at this point.
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:10 AM   #68
Inner Circle

David,

I looks does not matter, and all you need is functionality, you could simply use a velcrow strap. Easy open and close.

Mike
Old July 21st, 2006, 09:27 AM   #69
Major Player

Well Mike it could be an improvement on the taping that's for sure but there's 2 out of the 3 plastic hooks that are completely broken off (the second one broke recently) so it's really too unstable now to firmly hold in place.

Plus I'm thinking I'll be switching to HD in a year or so and I will then want to sell the FU-1000 along with the XL2's I own so to have a perfectly working one will increase its value substancially.

I called the NJ facility today and they told me what I likely need is the Finder Unit. I'm waiting for confirmation on it, as well as if I can get a smaller part than the whole Finder Unit since all I really need is the plastic part with the hooks (don't need the ground glass nor the metal cylinder that attaches to it).

Anyway they seem much more aware of what I need in NJ than they ever did in Canada. Night and day, so I'll keep my fingers crossed this will be resolved shortly.
Old July 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM   #70
Major Player

Wait, David, is your viewfinder color, or b&w? I think you are talking about the color stock LCD viewfinder. The FU-1000 is a b&W crt. On the FU-1000, the eyepiece is metal and bayonets onto the rotating mirror section of the eyepiece.
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM   #71
Major Player

Mark I'm talking about the B&W FU-1000's finder (or eyepiece I guess, language barrier here maybe, English's my 2nd language) which is both metal and plastic, with a metal cylinder shaped part with a plastic casing for adjusting its length (at least on mine that's the way it is, don't know if there were revisions to this product). The inside is indeed all metal I believe though.

The bayonet portion of the mount on the mirror assembly is indeed metal but what broke for me are the 3 plastic hooks on the eyepiece side that hook to this mount (at least I'm fairly certain they're plastic, been a while since I untaped this thing, but they wouldn't have broken off had they been metal made I'd think).
Old July 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM   #72
Major Player

No problem, your english is fine.

Yeah, that's a real drag. That shouldn't be too much of a problem to fix. I think it's a few small phillips head screws.

Good luck.

How are things in Montreal? I used to live in VT and went up there pretty often.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #73
Major Player

Things are always great in Montreal, when it's not cold, that is 3 months a year. ;-)

That aside, love the city, perfect place to both live and work for me.

Wouldn't mind moving to NY city in a distant future though, I love that city. Is the videography business a very competitive one there? I would assume it is.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:39 AM   #74
Major Player

Montreal is a beautiful city. I always have a good time there and I almost always see a production truck somewhere in the city. It's really beautiful in the winter.

New York is great, it's also completely insane and the driving induces road rage. Knowing people here helps, because it's all about who you know, as it is everywhere.

It's pretty competitive, but things have picked up in the last year. Now there is a fair amount of work happening here and in the surrounding area. NYC has lots of gov't incentives for production, which has helped. I've been lucky, I know a lot of people who are talented, ambitious and like my work. But, my other job is still looking for a job.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sasahara
But, my other job is still looking for a job.
I can certainly identify with that as I'm sure many who post here. ;-)

The insanity and fast pace found in NY is actually what attracks me the most. I get bored when things aren't insane enough. I'll try to master my craft here before thinking of moving though, I'm in no hurry.
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders