dv/iris ?? help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 28th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Inner Circle

dv/iris ?? help

I was keeping my xl2 in tv mode when I was out filming and I wanted to stop down the aperature. I pressed the iris dial inward and then moved the dial but nothing seemed to really happen. On my gl2 this procedure always worked.
Am I missing something???
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

You don't push it inward, just up or down. The inward motion is for selecting menu items when the menus are displayed. However, since you were in Tv mode, the aperture isn't going to respond anyway. Tv mode is where you pick shutter speed and the camera gets to run the iris for you while shutter remains constant. Av mode is the opposite of course. You pick iris, camera runs shutter.

You can press exposure lock to see what the camera is picking for you and then alter it for a temporary override. You can also use the AE offset to bias the exposure up or down a bit. I typically find that I have to turn it down to keep zebras to a minimum.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Inner Circle

got it

Greg,

Yep the ae lock was what i was trying to do!! Now that I think about it that was what I did on the gl2, press ae lock and then dial it down!! I have had it out for repairs for over a month so it just slipped my mind. this getting older stuff is frustrating.

thank you very much, saved me some frustration!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders