Wide angle Lens for xl2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 9th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Wide angle Lens for xl2

Hi All,
I need a wide angle lens for my canon XL2??
Any views and where is the best place to get one??
B&H?
Thank you
John
John Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You asking about the 3x Canon zoom or alternatives?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll hiijack this thread a little bit to put my question regarding the 3X.
Does it give you shallower DOF than the standard 20X or is it the same or more DOF.

I'm asking because I'm using XL2 to shoot weddings and the standard 20X is hard to manage in tight spaces.
Also, heard the 3X doesn't have the great stablisation 20X has.
Is it needed or does the wide angle make up for that?

Any advice welcome...
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It's often good to semi-hijack as it asks questions many people have.

As the chip size remains constant whatever lens you use, shortening the focal length will always give more depth of field for any given subject size. So yes, it'll be pretty difficult to get any sort of differential focus with the 3x in place.

The 3x doesn't have any sort of stabilisation built in - optical or electronic. I feel this is a great pity as the wider angle encourages camera movements - just when you'd like a helping hand for stabilisation.

What about using your 20x with a wide-angle converter instead?

tom.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, I'll have to say I'm not very familiar with any wide-angle converters for XL2.
What should I be looking for and what are the dis/advantages over the 3X?

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There are two types, zoom through and partial zoom through. The former are of multi-element construction (usually 3) and are bigger, heavier, generally more expensive.

The partial zoom through converters (which I like the best) are usually single elements and cheaper with it. Better that they're aspherical elements rather than spherical to minimise barrel distortion.

Advantage is that you keep the Canon's VAP OIS and some money in the bank. It's also possible to go a lot wider and wilder than the 3x allows.

tom.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Ok, so is there any specific brand/type that is known to work good, because here in Croatia you can't test or check anyhing before you buy it. :(
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I haven't used any wide angle adapters, but I do have the 3x.

Tom is right on the DOF. You get more with the short lens, not less. Depth of field is good for weddings.

As far as stabilization with the 3x, you don't need it at all. The short length makes it simple to hold steady. Longer lenses need the stabilization for sure, but not the short ones.

B&H is a great place to buy them for sure, but there are many used ones around right now also.

It is a great lens to have and you will love it.

Mike
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko Urbic
Ok, so is there any specific brand/type that is known to work good, because here in Croatia you can't test or check anyhing before you buy it. :(
One of the best for the price range is the Century Optics adapter. I have a .7x which allows full zoom through but is bulkier and more expensive as has been mentioned. The CO .6x will be cheaper and is only partial zoom through.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I read that the .6x is auto focus only (?)...

Is this true, and if so, how and why?

EDIT: Also, do you think that the new hd wide lens will drive the 3x any down in price?
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #11
New Boot

Wide angle for xl2

Thank you for you help but some you you talk of 3x and 6x what is this in ref to.
We are shooting a cooking show and need to be close and then pull back wide, I just need that bit of extra width.
John
John Court is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #12
Trustee

Canon make a seperate lens, the 3X wide, you can get a good used one for $800 and I HIGHLY recommend it over any adapter. OIS is not an issue at all and the images are stunning.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Finally got it!

Mom surprised me last night with a big B&H package after getting home from my high school graduation. Lo, inside was the 3x wide lens! I concur, this thing is awesome!

:) I have the best mom ever!
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Don't you just love Mom & Dad's like that? They're partially responsible in me getting my XL2 covering the differance I didn't have at the time :) And my goal has been to keep showing them worthy final end results of projects with the camera.
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:20 AM   #15
Inner Circle

times

Good morning,

Isn't it great we live in such affluent times??? I remember being given my bolex movie camera eons ago!!! I think it is admirable that you show them their efforts to support your passion is worthy!! keep it up, they will only love ya more for it!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders