XL2 and EF Lens Adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #136
Tourist

Using Extender or EF lenses

Hi,
I have used both on the XL1 and 2.The extender is OK but you do get a loss of sharpness at full zoom.Although not recommended by Canon I have stacked 2 extenders to achieve that extra long range shot of distant birds(and autofocus still works!!)
I have used a Sigma 50-500 and this gave fab results,very sharp and extreme telephoto range.I know there are arguments for using prime lenses,but I find that the zoom helps me locate the bird(or animal) first and then zoom in.Trying to find a small bird in a tree with a 400mm lens(2940mm equivalent 35mm)is extremely difficult!!
You do,of course lose autofocus with EF lenses,but the results are worth it.
Hope this helps
James Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #137
Tourist

Tripod Plate when using EF lenses

Hi,
Does anyone know of a long tripod plate..(purchased or plans for a homemade job would be fine)...so that I can mount the XL2 and the tripod mount of my Canon 100-400mm to the same plate?
The holes where you attach a tripod are not in line,due to the offset position of the XL lens mount,so the plate needs to be some sort of dogleg design.
Other ideas how to improve the steadiness of long EF lenses on the XL2 will also be welcomed
Any ideas?...thanks
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #138
Regular Crew

Using Extender or EF lenses

Tonnie-
I have owned both the XL1 and now the XL2. I film/video nature and wildlife as a profession and I lean towards the XL2 for everything. I find I use the 20X lens 60% of the time even w/o the extender which by the way works very well at all ranges maybe slightly soft at full w/ the 1.6. This is the most economical and lightest way to go however you should only consider this as convenience or a last resort. The next most useful zoom lens is the 100-400 IS USM. For large game (bison, elk, grizzly...) they are almost full frame at 200 yds full zoom. My third lens is a 600mm nikon which I used more with the XL1 than the XL2. Now with the XL2, the multiplication factors, with an adapter, is 9.6 (4:3) and 7.8 (16:9). If you use a 600 prime at 4:3 and you film a bald eagle, you would need to be over 200 yds away or you jeopardize cropping your subject. After spending many hours editing with fcp I have to conclude the difference in sharpness between the 20x and a prime is miniscule. You should have a good tripiod but you absolutely must have a quality video head for wildlife telephoto.
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #139
Regular Crew

Hey James,

This is the only one I know of: http://www.ronsrail.com/

Ron is on here alot and might be able to tell you all about them first hand.

Travis
Travis Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #140
Tourist

Thanks

Travis.....thanks for this very rapid response!!
Cheers
James
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM   #141
New Boot

James,

I am not familiar with the Canon lense, but I use a Sigma zoom with the XL1s. I have a simple plate that supports the camera and lense and connects to a Manfrotto 501. The good thing about the Sigma is that when it's mounted on the camera the tripod foot is at the same level as the XL1s tripod mounting face. I did the basic design work and got it machined at a local engineering workshop, total cost with materials £30.

I could send you a copy of the drawing if you think it might be of use.

Regards,

Chris.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #142
Tourist

Yes please!

Chris,would appreciate a copy of the plan..thanks
Can you mail me through the site please?
James
Old September 24th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #143
New Boot

Chris,

I would appreciate a copy too.

Many thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Guus
Guus Verheijen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:27 AM   #144
New Boot

James/Guus

Sorry for the delay, have been away on holiday for a week.

I will get my original drawing scanned and send copies as soon as possible.

Regards,

Chris.
Chris Gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:23 PM   #145
Regular Crew

I make a similar adaptor used to mount a spotting scope and a camera together. I am sure it could be used for stabilizing a telephoto lens on an XL1 or XL2. You can find in on this website:
www.teterhorn.com

Jared
Jared Teter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:45 AM   #146
Major Player

When you use the Canon 35mm lenses, you obviously have no power zoom. I suspect the autofocus will not work either?

Does the autoexposure still work - for wildlife I would regard this as essential?

Does anyone know what is the equivalent 35mm lens focal length for the 20X zoom with, and without, the extender?

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, but I cannot get search to work on this section of the forum only.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:53 AM   #147
Trustee

I prefer to use Nikon prime lenses for wildlife. My favourite is the Nikkor 300mm f2.8 EDIF - extremely sharp on the Canon XL camera. This lens is also superb to produce full-frame sunsets or moons. I also sometimes use the Nikkor 600mm EDIF, but very rarely as it often gives just too much magnification.

No matter which lenses you decide to use, it is important to use a rock-steady tripod and tripod/camera mount system. For subjects that are not moving too much, I always use the XL wireless remote control so that I don't need to touch the camera while recording.
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:30 AM   #148
Major Player

Thank you, I realise this, I have benn videoing wildlife for some time. I am thinking of upgrading my present Canon XM1, and I am trying to find out how much automation I would have if I were to use 35 mm lenses with the adaptor for the XL2.

I am also trying to find out the effective (i.e. 35mm format) focal length of the standard lens (20X does not tell me much that is useful), and the alternatives which need the adaptor.

I believe the CCDs are 1/3", so it should be possible to work out an approximate conversion factor?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM   #149
Regular Crew

Sorry I am a little late in the post. The figures Bill Taka gave for the focal length of 9.6---4.3 and 7.8---16:9 are relative to the XL lens also. I believe the wide end of the XL lens is 5.4. 5.4 times 9.6 in 4:3 mode is 51.8mm. The long end is 9.6 times 108mm --1036.8mm, 35mm still camera format. EF lenses have no auto functions with your XL2, everything is manual exept for the button on the side of the EFadapter. I have not found it of much use. Time to put in a plug for my RONSRAIL and RONSIGHT. Take a look at my website for those items and various tripods ,heads and lenses.
Ron Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #150
Regular Crew

I have heard that the 7.8x magnification is due to the CCD's being much smaller than the 35mm image and that you are effectively using the middle part of the lens (when using the EF adapter), which is the best part of any lens, so it may not be necessary to spend loads on a still lens.

I use an EF75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 that came with a canon EOS300V for £120.

I've only used this on the moon for an actual shot and the results were excellent. I have tested it in daylight (point at some distant trees), and again I was pleased with the results.

In my humble opinion, when using this configuration, the tripod is where the money should be spent!! :=)
Declan Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders