Tape issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Tape issues

Is it necessary to use the same brand of tape with XL 2 ? In one of the old threads I read that the unit jammed when a different brand of tape was used.
I have been using Sony tapes in my XL 2 and thought of trying JVC.I think I need some expert opinions on this before I try the different brand on my XL.
Dharma Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Major Player

There are varying schools of thought. It certainly can't *hurt* to stick to the same kind of tape.

I have always switched back and forth at will, and have experienced no discernible problems. My GL1 has some very minor dropout issues sometimes, and occasionally the time code gets all funked up. This might be due to the constant switching of tape brands, but it might just as well be due to the fact that the camera is now going on 7 years old and has been used a LOT. It might just be regular wear-and-tear on the tape head; seems reasonable to me.

At any rate, there's certainly no drawback to sticking to one brand. The only reason I haven't is because I'm perenially broke and am always looking for cheap tape stock. I go through a LOT of it.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma Singh
Is it necessary to use the same brand of tape with XL 2 ?
I have mixed panasonic and sony tapes abt. three years on PD100 without any problems. No dropouts, tape jams etc.

From what i have read, this head clog issue seems to be "TDK vs. the rest of the world". They have previously used different tape lubricant than the others.

It is also said that this incompatibilty is less severe now, but many users still vote against mixing TDK with others.

I am not sure to which camp to place other brands like Fuji, Maxell and JVC - It is obvious that there cannot be more than a handful of factories (or maybe only two...) who make minidv tape media. So ask around if you're planning to use some of these "other brands".

Penny-wise... i think sony basic tape DVM60-PR3 can be found at 2.5 e/usd each on 8-packs.

To summarize:
If you should play nice with other producers and editors, always use sony or panasonic tapes.
Consumer or pro tape? - Select according to your project - basically anything goes as long as you keep wrong brands out of your camera. Pro tapes like Pana AY-DVM60PQ and especially sony dvcam tapes look of course more pro...

Cheers,

Petri
Petri Flander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders