XL1 and XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 and XL2

On the feature we have three cameras, two XL2s and an XL1. Most of the time the XL2s will be available but for the times that they aren't we'll have to use an XL1. Is that a problem? Is the difference that noticable? Is there anything we can do to make it less noticable?
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Grant
On the feature we have three cameras, two XL2s and an XL1. Most of the time the XL2s will be available but for the times that they aren't we'll have to use an XL1. Is that a problem? Is the difference that noticable? Is there anything we can do to make it less noticable?
It's very noticable. You'll need to create a custom preset on the Xl2 by tweaking the picture controls to look like the Xl1.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Trustee

AND you will have to really kill a lot of the advantages the XL2 gives you. I can give you a preset that will match but the resolution and frame rates just wont match. XL1 is really only 360 lines in 16:9 mode, then, you deinterlace that to get the 24P motion and what you are left with is EXTREMELY soft. You would need a black diffusion filter on the XL2 and have the sharpness all the way down. If you want them to REALLY match, shoot the XL2 in 4:3 60i Mode, then crop it and deinterlace it in post... still.... what a shame!

Just use the XL2s!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I wish we could use the XL2s the whole time! We will have them the vast majority of the time and possibly all the time. But a big possibility is that we will have to go a day or two with only the XL1. I don't want to do anything to the XL2's excellent picture. Is there nothing we can do to the XL1 in post or anything to make the difference less noticable? Obviously if we were doing a 2 camera shoot of an interview we could put the XL1 in black and white, something a lot of people do. But that won't really work when we do whole days of shooting in XL1.
Old June 26th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #5
Major Player

maybe shoot different stuff with the xl1.. stick to a specific location with the xl1 that you want to give a different "feel" .. so you wouldnt be mixing too much... it would really depend on your shoot and your goals. you could use the image difference as a tool instead of a problem
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #6
Trustee

WHat are you shooting that you need multiple cameras anyway? That is really unconventional in narrative work... What day(s) do you need an XL2? I may be able to help...

ash =o)
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The XL2s belong to the DPs and they don't like anyone else using them but them. They are coordinating schedules to try and make sure one of them is always there. But if they can't be we'll be stuck to the XL1 which the co-producer owns.

Ash, you are welcome to help with the crew in any way you'd like. I'll definitely keep you in mind! If you'd like email me jgrant@mail.snu.edu so we can discuss. :)
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Who is your DP? I know most the decent DPs in the area...

ash =o)
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You probably don't know them as they are very fresh out. I know them personally because I've worked with them. Very talented guys. One is moving to Boston the end of the Summer. Actually they are directors but their strength is their framing ability and creating artistic interesting shots. Dustin Faust and Josh Mackamie.
Jonathan Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders