DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 best picture setting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/70430-xl2-best-picture-setting.html)

Tariq Mahmood June 28th, 2006 04:39 AM

XL2 best picture setting

Hi I've been testing the XL2 and I noticed like others here that the picture is not as vibrant as my previous XL1s. I am disappointed by the default picture, I suppose should have done research before buying it.

I shoot mostly weddings & for the past 3 years I have been delivering vibrant DVD's to clients shot with XL1s. I've tried playing about with the settings and even tried some the the settings posted by others. I cannot get Barn Picture software to work as it keeps crashing. I need to get the picture shot 'right' as it's too much work to do it in post.

Searching the previous post I like the VIVID & 3KINGZ (hi-contrast, punchy, vivid color) at http://panasonic.com/business/provid...ene_select.asp

What is the best setting for a vibrant picture?
& what is the best setting to shoot for 16x9 or 4:3 PAL DVD?

I hope I did not make a mistake....

Mike Teutsch June 28th, 2006 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Mahmood
Hi I've been testing the XL2 and I noticed like others here that the picture is not as vibrant as my previous XL1s. I am disappointed by the default picture, I suppose should have done research before buying it.

I shoot mostly weddings & for the past 3 years I have been delivering vibrant DVD's to clients shot with XL1s. I've tried playing about with the settings and even tried some the the settings posted by others. I cannot get Barn Picture software to work as it keeps crashing. I need to get the picture shot 'right' as it's too much work to do it in post.

Searching the previous post I like the VIVID & 3KINGZ (hi-contrast, punchy, vivid color) at http://panasonic.com/business/provid...ene_select.asp

What is the best setting for a vibrant picture?
& what is the best setting to shoot for 16x9 or 4:3 PAL DVD?

I hope I did not make a mistake....

Tarig,

You have, arguably, purchased the most versatile DV camera on the market. You can adjust so many settings it is mind boggling. Why? I mean why did you buy it, if you just want to take it out of the box and shoot auto mode?

Hook that puppy up to a TV or a monitor, and adjust it to just what you want. Save the settings as a preset and you have just what you need.

Why would you be looking at a Pany site for Canon settings? We have a thread here that lists and discusses different presets. Check it out and try those settings.

If you have not looked at the dvcreators video on XL2 features, you need to. Link below:

http://www.dvcreators.net/canon-xl2/

After this, if you still think you have made a mistake, I’m positive there will be many who will take your mistake off of your hands.

Best of luck----Mike

Bruce S. Yarock June 28th, 2006 08:02 AM

tariq,
First do a search on this forum for presets, especially from Ash Greyson.He has lots of knowledge, and has posted numerous presets. Also you should download the "blue barn prests manager" from the sticky section of this forum. There are about 15 custom presets by numerous people.
I was doing some 2 cam wedding soots with a guy who has an xl1s. the difference is that the Xl1s is more saturated, but not as clean and detailed an image. There's also a greener(yellow?) tint to the xl1s. If you can't find the post that reccomended the match for the 1s and the 2, I'll post it again.
I personally wanted a more punchy, vibrant all around pre set, and a friend and I came up with the following (though I haven't tried it much yet).
gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
color gain-2 clicks higher
color phase-1 click higher
green gain- 1 below center
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine
Try this and tell me what you think.
Bruce S. Yarock

Tariq Mahmood June 28th, 2006 08:51 AM

Thanks for reply.
Firstly, I am a loyal canon follower from scanners, printers, to still cameras my office is full of canon eqpt. I did not think twice about getting a new canon to supplement my XL1s, however I just did not realise the difference in the default picture quality. I have played about with the settings & I've managed to get a more richer colour by boosting all the settings but still it is not what I am totally happy with. Outdoors the picture is great. Indoors I need to still work on a preset I am happy with. I will follow your settings suggestions. Thanks.

Michael Cassidy June 28th, 2006 10:18 AM

Hooking your camera up to a monitor, and going through all the settings and variations, is time well spent. I've had my tripod and camera, with me in the living room for weeks now! (unless I'm on a shoot, of course)
Everytime I read a suitable posting, on here, I'm up,and testing it out.
Remember, don't use the auto gain, and set your white balance each time.
16:9 will give you better than 4:3. It will come to you, and you'll be flying!

Mike.

Ash Greyson June 28th, 2006 06:40 PM

Good start Bruce, you could take the setup and MP down even more if you wanted to completly crush the blacks. You could also change the gamma to video which tends to be more punchy...

ash =o)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
tariq,
First do a search on this forum for presets, especially from Ash Greyson.He has lots of knowledge, and has posted numerous presets. Also you should download the "blue barn prests manager" from the sticky section of this forum. There are about 15 custom presets by numerous people.
I was doing some 2 cam wedding soots with a guy who has an xl1s. the difference is that the Xl1s is more saturated, but not as clean and detailed an image. There's also a greener(yellow?) tint to the xl1s. If you can't find the post that reccomended the match for the 1s and the 2, I'll post it again.
I personally wanted a more punchy, vibrant all around pre set, and a friend and I came up with the following (though I haven't tried it much yet).
gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine
Try this and tell me what you think.
Bruce S. Yarock

Bruce S. Yarock June 29th, 2006 05:28 AM

Ash,
Thanks.I'll try your additional tweaks.If I do use somethimg like this as a general look,what would I do about my "low light"m preset to make it compatable? Do the same with the color and gamma settings on the low light as on this other preset?
Bruce

Ash Greyson July 1st, 2006 02:41 PM

For low light you need to boost the coring, up the saturation and back off the MP a little bit. VIDEO gamma will be less noisy and as long as you keep the matrix on cine the color should match... if the shadows fall off too fast turn the blacks to middle...

ash =o)

Cal Johnson July 1st, 2006 07:36 PM

Tariq, check out this link:

http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html

click on the "Canon XL2 Feature Tour" link a little further down the page.

You might want to consider using some warm cards, especially if you're doing wedding gigs. The XL2 delivers awesome picture quality, and is very versitile. Work with the presets some more.

Bill Hamell July 2nd, 2006 01:39 AM

I tried Bruce’s settings with Ash’s tweaks (Dropped the Setup and MP two additional points each.) You may get the preset I used here.
http://cinebydesign.net/film/bruce-ash.bbp

EDIT: This video is much better and smaller, Don't know how I fixed it.

I shot a simple zoom out during the “Golden Hour” it is 47 seconds long and 1.7Mb.
24P 1/48 F:5.6 w/ND
http://cinebydesign.net/film/mystic2.wmv

Comments?

Bill

Bill Hamell July 7th, 2006 07:53 PM

Guess not. :-)

How about this one used the same preset for shooting in the rain.

http://cinebydesign.net/rain2.wmv

This ones larger 2 minutes 12 seconds 9Mb

David Calvin July 7th, 2006 08:07 PM

That was beautiful

I love that footage. Wow.. wish I was there. Seems so peaceful. What lens did you use? Did you use a filter at all as well?

Thanks for posting this. It looks so nice.

David

Bill Hamell July 7th, 2006 08:15 PM

David,

Thank you, they both were shot with the 20x, the only filter was a UV that stays on the lens.

Bill

Eniola Akintoye July 11th, 2006 08:13 AM

Both looks pretty nice.
Is there a way to get the glossy feel on a shot?

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 11:09 AM

Rack Focus?

Hey, Bill. On the first one (Mystic2), did you rack focus, or use auto-focus? As you zoom out from the kayak, it seems as though the shot remains focused on the kayak, but then it gets too far out to tell one way or another, except that the reeds and bushes on the nearside bank seem a little soft.

I often dream of living in a place like this - quiet, cool, green.

Bill Hamell July 12th, 2006 02:21 PM

Jack,

I did this quick and dirty and do not remember I think I left it on auto focus.

On the rain clip I did that all on manual.

If I remember more I post another reply.

Thanks,
Bill

Oh, I left out the scene that shows I-95 running through the middle of it. :-(

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Hamell
...Oh, I left out the scene that shows I-95 running through the middle of it. :-(

LOL!

I-95 runs through here about 4 miles from my house - Lawrenceville (near Princeton), NJ.

Cal Johnson July 13th, 2006 02:58 PM

Tariq, have you tried using warm cards to get a richer look? I'm really surprised you're struggling to get a likeable picture out of the XL2, I had just the opposite impression when I started using mine, I think the picture quality is great.

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 06:51 AM

Ash,
I have shoot on Sunday, and I showed the director some footage with this preset in 30p.He loved the look and wants me to use it.I'm also bringing my FX1 as a second camera. Any idea on a tweak for the FX1 to give it a similar look?
By the way, I also used this preset inside in questionable light, and when I got home it looked red/orange (though it looks great in decent light or outside).I shoot with the fu-1000 viewfinder and don't have an on cam monitor, so I couldn't see the colr,etc till later.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine

Jack Barker July 14th, 2006 08:08 AM

Quote:

...I also used this preset inside in questionable light, and when I got home it looked red/orange (though it looks great in decent light or outside)...

(Butting in) Bruce, did you white balance again when you shot inside?

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 09:58 AM

Jack,
Unfortunately I didn't, butI did some testing at home. I white balanced inside the house and tried my custom preset, and two others, with both auto wb and manual.Regardless, the custom preset was darker and a bit more red/ orange either way. I tested the default xl2, a custom low light preset, and the cine-saturated one under the same conditions.
You live in a great area...my sister is in Princeton Junction.I miss the northeast.
Bruce Yarock

Jack Barker July 14th, 2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

You live in a great area...my sister is in Princeton Junction.

No kidding? That is my local train station.

Bruce S. Yarock July 14th, 2006 10:15 AM

She lives on Park Hill Terrace.
Bruce Yarock

Bill Hamell August 7th, 2006 05:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bruce I like this preset... Here's a frame grab.

3x lens 1/48 f:5.6 ND on w/PL

Bill

Bruce S. Yarock August 7th, 2006 10:28 PM

Beautifull shot, Bill.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com

Mike Andrade August 8th, 2006 07:47 PM

Bill,

That shot of the hummingbird on the fence wire was great as well. You really got a good shallow DOF on it. How far away were you?

Bill Hamell August 9th, 2006 02:37 AM

Bruce,

Thank you, it is a great preset.

Mike,

Thank you, I was about 20 to 25 feet away.

Bill

Djee Smit August 9th, 2006 11:31 AM

How do you change these settings on a xl2, like the gamma? do you need the remote to do that or can you do that in the menu on the body? 'cause I have an xl2 at home at the moment, and I just don't seem to find these options

Jarrod Whaley August 9th, 2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djee Smit
How do you change these settings on a xl2, like the gamma? do you need the remote to do that or can you do that in the menu on the body? 'cause I have an xl2 at home at the moment, and I just don't seem to find these options

They're in the "custom preset" menu.

Jack Barker August 9th, 2006 12:12 PM

Here's a page worth looking at for a quick guide to where everything is in the menus - and it's right here on DVi, thanks to Chris Hurd.

http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article03.php

Zack Vohaska August 19th, 2006 11:18 AM

Custom Preset

Hi all,

I didn't think it was worth creating a whole new thread for this question, but, maybe someone can help me out with getting a particular "look" with the XL2.

I'm going after a cold, harsh look...sort of like the picture here and here. Perhaps someone can give me some pointers as to what I should do to white balance, configure a preset, etc.

Bill Hamell August 19th, 2006 02:56 PM

I'm thinking this will be best done with lighting rather than a preset.

With the proper lighting I would start with the Technicolor.bbp here.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48287

Of course Ash will probably whip you up one as he is the preset king. :-)
All hale to the Great and Powerful Ash. (very lagre grin)

Bill