XL2 best picture setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 28th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #1
New Boot

XL2 best picture setting

Hi I've been testing the XL2 and I noticed like others here that the picture is not as vibrant as my previous XL1s. I am disappointed by the default picture, I suppose should have done research before buying it.

I shoot mostly weddings & for the past 3 years I have been delivering vibrant DVD's to clients shot with XL1s. I've tried playing about with the settings and even tried some the the settings posted by others. I cannot get Barn Picture software to work as it keeps crashing. I need to get the picture shot 'right' as it's too much work to do it in post.

Searching the previous post I like the VIVID & 3KINGZ (hi-contrast, punchy, vivid color) at http://panasonic.com/business/provid...ene_select.asp

What is the best setting for a vibrant picture?
& what is the best setting to shoot for 16x9 or 4:3 PAL DVD?

I hope I did not make a mistake....
Tariq Mahmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Mahmood
Hi I've been testing the XL2 and I noticed like others here that the picture is not as vibrant as my previous XL1s. I am disappointed by the default picture, I suppose should have done research before buying it.

I shoot mostly weddings & for the past 3 years I have been delivering vibrant DVD's to clients shot with XL1s. I've tried playing about with the settings and even tried some the the settings posted by others. I cannot get Barn Picture software to work as it keeps crashing. I need to get the picture shot 'right' as it's too much work to do it in post.

Searching the previous post I like the VIVID & 3KINGZ (hi-contrast, punchy, vivid color) at http://panasonic.com/business/provid...ene_select.asp

What is the best setting for a vibrant picture?
& what is the best setting to shoot for 16x9 or 4:3 PAL DVD?

I hope I did not make a mistake....
Tarig,

You have, arguably, purchased the most versatile DV camera on the market. You can adjust so many settings it is mind boggling. Why? I mean why did you buy it, if you just want to take it out of the box and shoot auto mode?

Hook that puppy up to a TV or a monitor, and adjust it to just what you want. Save the settings as a preset and you have just what you need.

Why would you be looking at a Pany site for Canon settings? We have a thread here that lists and discusses different presets. Check it out and try those settings.

If you have not looked at the dvcreators video on XL2 features, you need to. Link below:

http://www.dvcreators.net/canon-xl2/

After this, if you still think you have made a mistake, I’m positive there will be many who will take your mistake off of your hands.

Best of luck----Mike
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Trustee

tariq,
First do a search on this forum for presets, especially from Ash Greyson.He has lots of knowledge, and has posted numerous presets. Also you should download the "blue barn prests manager" from the sticky section of this forum. There are about 15 custom presets by numerous people.
I was doing some 2 cam wedding soots with a guy who has an xl1s. the difference is that the Xl1s is more saturated, but not as clean and detailed an image. There's also a greener(yellow?) tint to the xl1s. If you can't find the post that reccomended the match for the 1s and the 2, I'll post it again.
I personally wanted a more punchy, vibrant all around pre set, and a friend and I came up with the following (though I haven't tried it much yet).
gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
color gain-2 clicks higher
color phase-1 click higher
green gain- 1 below center
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine
Try this and tell me what you think.
Bruce S. Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for reply.
Firstly, I am a loyal canon follower from scanners, printers, to still cameras my office is full of canon eqpt. I did not think twice about getting a new canon to supplement my XL1s, however I just did not realise the difference in the default picture quality. I have played about with the settings & I've managed to get a more richer colour by boosting all the settings but still it is not what I am totally happy with. Outdoors the picture is great. Indoors I need to still work on a preset I am happy with. I will follow your settings suggestions. Thanks.
Tariq Mahmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hooking your camera up to a monitor, and going through all the settings and variations, is time well spent. I've had my tripod and camera, with me in the living room for weeks now! (unless I'm on a shoot, of course)
Everytime I read a suitable posting, on here, I'm up,and testing it out.
Remember, don't use the auto gain, and set your white balance each time.
16:9 will give you better than 4:3. It will come to you, and you'll be flying!

Mike.
Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Trustee

Good start Bruce, you could take the setup and MP down even more if you wanted to completly crush the blacks. You could also change the gamma to video which tends to be more punchy...

ash =o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock
tariq,
First do a search on this forum for presets, especially from Ash Greyson.He has lots of knowledge, and has posted numerous presets. Also you should download the "blue barn prests manager" from the sticky section of this forum. There are about 15 custom presets by numerous people.
I was doing some 2 cam wedding soots with a guy who has an xl1s. the difference is that the Xl1s is more saturated, but not as clean and detailed an image. There's also a greener(yellow?) tint to the xl1s. If you can't find the post that reccomended the match for the 1s and the 2, I'll post it again.
I personally wanted a more punchy, vibrant all around pre set, and a friend and I came up with the following (though I haven't tried it much yet).
gamma-cine
knee-high
black-press
color gain-2 clicks higher
color phase-1 click higher
green gain- 1 below center
blue gain-1click higher
set up level- 2 below
master ped-2 below
color matrix-cine
Try this and tell me what you think.
Bruce S. Yarock
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #7
Trustee

Ash,
Thanks.I'll try your additional tweaks.If I do use somethimg like this as a general look,what would I do about my "low light"m preset to make it compatable? Do the same with the color and gamma settings on the low light as on this other preset?
Bruce
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Trustee

For low light you need to boost the coring, up the saturation and back off the MP a little bit. VIDEO gamma will be less noisy and as long as you keep the matrix on cine the color should match... if the shadows fall off too fast turn the blacks to middle...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Major Player

Tariq, check out this link:

http://dvestore.com/theatre/index.html

click on the "Canon XL2 Feature Tour" link a little further down the page.

You might want to consider using some warm cards, especially if you're doing wedding gigs. The XL2 delivers awesome picture quality, and is very versitile. Work with the presets some more.
Cal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:39 AM   #10
Major Player

I tried Bruce’s settings with Ash’s tweaks (Dropped the Setup and MP two additional points each.) You may get the preset I used here.
http://cinebydesign.net/film/bruce-ash.bbp

EDIT: This video is much better and smaller, Don't know how I fixed it.

I shot a simple zoom out during the “Golden Hour” it is 47 seconds long and 1.7Mb.
24P 1/48 F:5.6 w/ND
http://cinebydesign.net/film/mystic2.wmv

Comments?

Bill

Last edited by Bill Hamell; July 2nd, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Bill Hamell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Guess not. :-)

How about this one used the same preset for shooting in the rain.

http://cinebydesign.net/rain2.wmv

This ones larger 2 minutes 12 seconds 9Mb
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

That was beautiful

I love that footage. Wow.. wish I was there. Seems so peaceful. What lens did you use? Did you use a filter at all as well?

Thanks for posting this. It looks so nice.

David
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Major Player

David,

Thank you, they both were shot with the 20x, the only filter was a UV that stays on the lens.

Bill
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #14
Major Player

Both looks pretty nice.
Is there a way to get the glossy feel on a shot?
Eniola Akintoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #15
Major Player

Rack Focus?

Hey, Bill. On the first one (Mystic2), did you rack focus, or use auto-focus? As you zoom out from the kayak, it seems as though the shot remains focused on the kayak, but then it gets too far out to tell one way or another, except that the reeds and bushes on the nearside bank seem a little soft.

I often dream of living in a place like this - quiet, cool, green.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders