Mysterious connection point on my XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Mysterious connection point on my XL2

Below the button battery compartment there is a recessed receptacle.
I have looked through the manual and could find no reference to it.

Could someone tell me what it is, and what it does, please?

Thank you,
Bill
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That would be a Hex screw in there. :-) Doesn't do anything- except help keep our cameras from falling apart...

Regards,

~J
Jeff Lanctot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeff,

That's a good thing then. :-)

That leads me to my next question, why then the triangle with the lightning bolt symbol?

Thank you,
Bill
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

afaik, that would be the 'universal' symbol for 'don't open this up... you could get shocked.'

Regards,

~J
Old July 4th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Ok, that is two things I learned today.

It is just a bolt, and if you remove it all the electricity leaks out!! :-)

Thanks again,
Bill
Old July 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Oh, no, no, no! Here's a secret I learned from an electronics technician: Electricity is bunk. Everything is powered by smoke! Yes, the same smoke typically associated with mirrors. Need proof? When an electronic or electrical device fails, smoke comes out. Does it still work? Nope.

;-)
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, now the secret is out....you guessed it and the industry is going to be blown wide open. Smoke is an amazing, low cost, high volume, energy source that was patented a long time ago by an associate of my great, great, grandfather's second cousin. It stands for Systematic Manipulator Of Kinetic Energies, or SMOKE for short, and has a half-life of 'always'. In essense, SMOKE is the life-force, or the essense of all electrical devices - and in most cases, the accidental 'release' of the SMOKE through punctures, cracks, or other forms of damage to the device, is often found to be concurrent with the abrupt demise of the device iteself. By contrast, the retention of the SMOKE within the device is thought to be relative to continued, and in some cases, IMPROVED functionality. The best known case of this is the 'smokeless ashtray' popular in the 1970's.

The phenomenon of the smokeless ashtray is based on simple logic. As the device continued to trap more smoke into itself, it functioned with greater and greater efficiency, until eventually it trapped so much SMOKE, it simply evolved. That is why you rarely see smokeless ashtrays in this day and age. Most of them evolved into alternate forms of SMOKE based devices, such as early stepping stones like the Knight Rider 'KIT' car, the flux capacitor, and the 3Ghz PowerPC processor...all of which have been known after a fashion for their unique uses of SMOKE technology.

Hope this helps.
-Jon
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Gaaaahhhh ... Jon!

When you keyboard the above kind of departure, try to keep it to a few short sentances. Otherwise people might start to develop sterotypes about "video" guys and lump us in with those cellar dwelling types in the basements of abodes with moms living upstairs and having an unhealthy obsession with star trek.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

A Star Trek obsession is unhealthy?

Sorry, my mom's calling me to come upstairs...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
Gaaaahhhh ... Jon!

When you keyboard the above kind of departure, try to keep it to a few short sentances. Otherwise people might start to develop sterotypes about "video" guys and lump us in with those cellar dwelling types in the basements of abodes with moms living upstairs and having an unhealthy obsession with star trek.
Nooooooooo!!! My brains are SMOOOOKKKING!!!
Shervin Mandgaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Major Player

What did I start? :-)
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #12
Trustee

Beam me up, Scotty...
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #13
Major Player

Oh we're very clever aliens up here in igloo land ... not only did we attract the attention of the chief moderator we got him to particpate in a string horribly driven off topic when he should have been admonishing such bad behavior. Ha!

So I will bring this topic back in keeping with the founding principles of this fine board. Admire the fine screw for it is functioning perfectly. Now get back to work all of you.

Jimmy.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders