DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   can i use a 4x4 matte box if i shoot 16:9 with XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/71346-can-i-use-4x4-matte-box-if-i-shoot-16-9-xl2.html)

Lonnie Bell July 12th, 2006 10:18 AM

can i use a 4x4 matte box if i shoot 16:9 with XL2

i shoot exclusively in 16:9 mode and want to add a matte box and filters to my arsenal. Is a 4x4 wide enough with the 20xlens... or do i need a wider box...

secondly, if i eventually invest in the Redrock Micro, and use Nikon 35mm lenses in front (obviously nothing super wide), assuming the 4x4 in the above question was okayed, would it still be wide enough for this future setup with the Redrock/Nikon ?? or is neither setup sufficient and i need a bigger box?

thanks for in advance - Lonnie

Chris Owen July 12th, 2006 10:47 AM

I'm rather curious about this too. I have been considering getting a CAVision 4x4 bellows MB for the XL2.

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 10:53 AM

Sure...

I do it all the time as I also shoot exclusively in 16:9. Have a look:

Joe Winchester July 12th, 2006 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the Chrosziel 4x4 and always shoot 16:9 with no problems at all. I use the 16x manual, but I have used my 20x on it as well with no issues.

Joe Winchester July 12th, 2006 02:26 PM

Also, I'm not sure about your second question... I would think unless you use some crazy-wide 35mm lens it should be fine.... but then agin I have no idea.

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 02:58 PM

Joe...

The accessory bracket on the back of your XL2 - I have one too, of course, but I have never used it. It looks like you have multiple batteries on yours. How does that work? I have five batteries, I think, but I just put them in one at a time.

Tony Davies-Patrick July 12th, 2006 03:00 PM

You should have no problem at all with the normal 20X or 16X lenses set at their widest settings (down to about 50mm equiv. SLR).

With 28mm or 24mm and wider lenses (equivalent to 35mm SLR) vignette may occur (such as the 3X Canon or 0.7X; 0.6X; and 0.5X on the original AF 20X & 16X Manual or AF 16X lenses ).

I have tested the 20X lens with added .5X and .7X wide adapters, with and without normal hood, and with round single filter, UV, or polarizer filter attached, and also with square filters.

No vignetting at all was observed at 4:3 setting on the XL2, but very slight shadow was seen at the extreme corners at 16:9 setting using the .7X.

I observed bad vignetting with the .5X at 16:9 (So I do not use the .5X with the Canon XL2, only the .7X in 16:9).

I prefer to use a large Bellows hood + square filters because the bellows can be adjusted for each different lens in use (or range of zoom in use) during each shoot and therefore avoid vignette at the corners.

If you are going to show your video direct to TV (or via DVD), then any very slight vignette at the corners will be hidden by the tighter framing of most television screens. Also try to remember that the XL2 viewfinder will not always show the extent of the vignette, so always check the full 16:9 view on your large screen or during post editing.

Joe Winchester July 12th, 2006 03:03 PM

That's the dual battery holder/charger on the back. I don't remember the model number (it's made by Canon, not 3rd party), but I bought it back when I used my XL1. It holds two batteries at a time and plugs into the camera.

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 03:05 PM

And to think I could have been using this all along!

Tony Davies-Patrick July 12th, 2006 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Barker
The accessory bracket on the back of your XL2 - I have one too, of course, but I have never used it. It looks like you have multiple batteries on yours. How does that work? I have five batteries, I think, but I just put them in one at a time.

This is the Dual Battery holder bracket and holds two small or two extra-heavy duty batteries via the Dual Battery charger/holder. The bracket also can hold a radio mic unit.

For extreme longterm shooting away from a power source, I prefer to use a separate XL2 battery belt with wire connected direct to the XL2 body.

Oops! Joe already answered...!

Jack Barker July 12th, 2006 03:22 PM

Thanks Guys. I just hope I can find all the bits and pieces to enable me to set mine up that way.

Tony - visited your website. You are indeed a globetrotter! I was rather taken with the Jackdaw in a green field. Maybe I could use it for a logo and build a company name around it. Do you sell the rights?

http://www.wilderness-photo.co.uk/di...p&cat=0&pos=33

Tony Davies-Patrick July 12th, 2006 03:27 PM

Jack, I can be contacted at:

globetrotterworld@hotmail.com

Kelly Harmsworth July 12th, 2006 03:39 PM

mabey this is a dumb question but what does a matte box do?

Lonnie Bell July 12th, 2006 08:47 PM

thanks guys...

Chris Owen July 12th, 2006 08:57 PM

Hi Kelly. No question is dumb if you don't know the answer :)

A mattebox is an "extended hood" that helps to prevent reflections and unwanted light from hitting the lens. They are also used to hold square filters. A mattebox with a french flag on the top can really help in keeping unwanted light off the lens when the source is bright and above the camera (outdoors they are great). Indoors, your lens hood is typically sufficient to handle the job.