Basic zebra stripes question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I dont recommend it for anyone without EXTENSIVE knowledge of a particular camera, but I do not use zebras... then again, I have logged more hours on the XL2 than probably anybody. When I shoot Varicam I always use them but your setup depends on what yoy are shooting. On a Vari I set the Zebras to 80 for shooting people and aim for no zebras on the face.

On thing I can tell that is an absolute mistake is using the shutter to control light. The shutter is a perceived motion control, while it does effect the light, it is NOT a light adjustment. This is also an EFFECT that is IRREVERSIBLE. ND filters and Iris should be used to control light, you can also use the -3dB gain. You should also never go below F8 or so, get yourself some screw on ND filters if you are having problems (snow and sand and particularly bad). Shutter adjustments should only be done when you want the specific EFFECT they create. My only personal rule for breaking this code is in situations where there is almost NO light and you must lower the shutter to get an image. .

ash =o)
I'd have to disagree with Ash that it is a mistake to control light using the shutter (outdoor shooting). Yes, try to keep the aperture wider than f/8 if you can, but there are often times during filming in very bright daylight conditions, especially around reflective water and bright skies, when the employment of the ND filters + polarizer filter at your disposal are just not enough to maintain the aperture at the preferred f/5.6-f/2 - so, rather than closing the aperture beyond f/8, I often prefer to up the shutter speed slightly to maintain correct exposure.
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Tony-

Thanks... I really do not have the experience to agree or disagree with changing the shutter. I've spent a lot of time reading posts in this XL2 forum and have come the conclusion that there are many ways to accomplish the same things.

I'll continue to experiment with all these suggestions. Thanks again!

Tim
Tim Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford

...and have come the conclusion that there are many ways to accomplish the same things.

Tim
Yes, that is a good thing to remember, Tim.

Try to experiment to reach your own goals...even though there may be many different roads leading to the same goal posts.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM   #19
Trustee

There is nothing to disagree about really. The shutter to control light should only be used when you are stuck without another option. You should carry enough ND, polarizers, etc. to not HAVE to use the shutter. Like I said, it is an irreversible effect you are applying to your footage and can dramatically effect the perception of the viewer. For sports, high action, music videos, etc. it can be a very nice effect but for some things it will absolutely kill the feel of natural motion.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM   #20
Trustee

No problem, Ash, we'll just have to agree to differ. - "...Sports, high action, music videos, etc.. and when you are stuck without another option..." - is enough reason to use the shutter to help maintain correct exposure.
I do not like using more than the inbuilt ND filters + Polarizer at the same time, and stay clear of stacking filters. It doesn't really matter how you maintain the basic exposure or control the light hitting the image sensor, as long as the end result is the type of footage that you wanted to achieve.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM   #21
Capt. Quirk

Not really on or off topic, but... I discovered quite by accident, when you are shooting Zebras, having the Zebra function on really confuses things. I wasn't sure if they were blowing out or even in focus.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:43 PM   #22
Trustee

Tony my advice is more directed toward people with less knowledge than you... I just wanted to make sure it was understood that the shutter is not a light adjustment and will create an effect. If you are after the effect, it is a great one that cannot be recreated in post effectively.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders