XL2 and DVD Recorders at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 24th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #1
Tourist

XL2 and DVD Recorders

New forum memeber... longtime XL2 user!

I bought a DVD recorder to make quick DVD's for my clients to see rough footage. I love that the machines have firewire connections. However, when I set up to make some DVD's, I could not send the timecode out to the monitor and thus the DVD recorder. Bummer! The S-Cable did allow the T/C to be sent, and the quality looks ok, but was in B&W. The RCA connections gave me color, timecode and really lousy resolution.

Will the XL2 send timecode info out over the wirewire connection?
Is it the quality level and features of the DVD recorder?
Do I need to throw more money at a better device?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Bob
Bob Lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:56 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lukeman
New forum memeber... longtime XL2 user!

I bought a DVD recorder to make quick DVD's for my clients to see rough footage. I love that the machines have firewire connections. However, when I set up to make some DVD's, I could not send the timecode out to the monitor and thus the DVD recorder. Bummer! The S-Cable did allow the T/C to be sent, and the quality looks ok, but was in B&W. The RCA connections gave me color, timecode and really lousy resolution.

Will the XL2 send timecode info out over the wirewire connection?
Is it the quality level and features of the DVD recorder?
Do I need to throw more money at a better device?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Bob
Regarding the B&W effect when using the s-video cable, I think you need to go into the recorder's set up menu and select 's-video' or 'Y/C' as the input source. That way you'll get the picture in colour and with the better resolution than composite.

As for the firewire query, does pressing the 'tv display' button on the XL-2 remote controller give you what you need ?
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM   #3
Trustee

You most likely have a funky S-video cable...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders