Should I get an XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I get an XL2?

I'm a junior in high school but I will be getting a job this year so I can get a better camera. I'm guessing I will make about 3,000 dollars during this year and I'd like to get a camera with this money.

So I'm starting to think about which camera I want so I know how much money I'll need, do some research, etc.

So I've read a few of the SD vs. HD threads and it doesn't help me solve my problem because I'm in a different situation than most people. I won't be using this for weddings or events. I'll mostly use this to shoot short films, submit to festivals, maybe do a commercial, a birthday party for a friend. Also, this camera is what I will take to film school when I'm done with high school.

So I think the XL2 would be a good choice for me because it has very professional features that are absent on the HD cameras around the same price like the FX1. However, since this is what I'll be taking to film school, and I need it to last a few years I don't know if I should sacrifice 24p, lenses, and all the customizable options of the XL2 in order to start out in HD. However, if I did get the FX1 I would end up editing in MiniDV anyway because I don't have the computer power to edit HDV.

So do you guys think the XL2 would be the right choice?

PS: Although this is the XL2 forum, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice.

Thanks
Ernesto Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Based on what you've said, absolutely. You'll like the fact that you can change lenses.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ernesto
If you want the options of 24p, 16:9 aspect ratio, removable lenses and customzable presets, and looking to spend $3k to $5k then XL2 should be the choice. My reseach for a camcorder lasted 6 months before buying the XL2. After using it for almost a year, I have no regret. This is just my opinion.
Try watching the DV Creators XL2 Feature Tour. This is the link it should help you understand the capabilities of the XL2.
http://www.dvcreator.net/media/demos...aturetour.html
Eb
Eb Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Definitely XL2. You'll be able to learn a lot more about shooting since you'll have all the manual controls. The things you'll be able to learn will most definitely carry over into the future when you do go to HD--maybe when HD cameras that offer this level of image control are a bit more affordable, and when HD distribution has become more viable than it is right now.
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What about the DVX-100?

I had completely forgotten about this camera. Seems similar to the XL2 except with no interchangeable lenses. Which of the two do you think would be better for me?
Ernesto Llano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto Llano
What about the DVX-100?

I had completely forgotten about this camera. Seems similar to the XL2 except with no interchangeable lenses. Which of the two do you think would be better for me?
Lens options and many other things make the XL2 a better choice, but in the long run it is all up to you. Price is always a consideration.

Mike
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto Llano
What about the DVX-100?

One more thing: The DVX100 is 4:3 only, although it has a built-in letterboxing mask. XL2 gives you true 16:9 mode.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

XL-2 wins hands down....

Get used to cameras with manual focus, manual iris, manual white balance, manual everything, changeable lenses, a decent viewfinder, decent audio options, is upgradeable, can be used flexibly and professionally.

My view of HD is that it's not quite there yet, but maybe next year...?

That's what I'd do if I was going to film school and was perhaps looking for a career in the film business...
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Get a DVX 100A.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders