XL2 purchase in UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 5th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XL2 purchase in UK

Hi to any UK based XL2 owners,

Can anyone please give me details of UK outlets that carry the XL2? I've searched Google and found a number of online retailers but I can't find any bricks and mortar shops.

My XM2 has just died and I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade. But before I have second thoughts I want to buy the thing quickly! Like, er, today!

I've seen a few second hand units on eBay. Anyone here looking to sell (in the UK)?

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm selling one on CL

But I am in California.. so.. that probably wouldn't work out. If there's any other interest, though, shoot me an email. Very low hours.
David Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Love to David! In fact I'd be happy to hop over and collect it in person. My wife, on the other hand . . .

Cheers!

Ian . . .
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

virtual bricks

i ordered mine from ajelectronics.co.uk and it came the next day.
it was a lot cheaper than any price i could get from a bricks and mortar shop that would 'be able to order one'.
Ray Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Morning Ray, just found them on the web!

In fact, now I know they're open on Saturdays I will be calling them when they open at 10 to place my order! I wonder if they allow collections? I'm only an hour away . . .

Thanks for that info.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Morning Ray, just found them on the web!

In fact, now I know they're open on Saturdays I will be calling them when they open at 10 to place my order! I wonder if they allow collections? I'm only an hour away . . .

Thanks for that info.

Cheers.

Ian . . .
The trouble with a camera like the XL-2 is that many "bricks and mortar" stores will at best have a display model, but not actually have a stash of ready to go models piled up in the back store.

Good luck, you won't regret the upgrade at all...
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Allen,

Just as you suggested, none in stock at my first, second or third ports of call. However, I am now on my merry way to Kamla in Tottenham Court Road, wife (with credit card) and kids in tow, where they have one reserved for my collection later today. Yeehar! Bit more expensive than some online retailers, but only just - £2800 inc VAT. (Hope it's OK to mention this, by the way - I couldn't see any DVi sponsors in the UK).

I think you're also going be on the nose about not being disappointed with the upgrade. The more I read about this camera, the more I regret not making the move sooner. It took a broken XM2 and a waiting list of two corporate case study videos next week and six more over the next three months to make me take the plunge.

What I'm also delighted to learn is that a number of the accessories I already own for use with the XM2 will work with the XL2 - matte box, LANC controller, extended life batteries etc. Shame I can't use the wide angle lens though. But wait, do I hear early Christmas bells . . . ?

Cheers,

Ian . . .

ps, as a BBC camera operator, are you using the XL2 for personal projects or are you using it for work If you don't mind me asking)?
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Update:

My wife, who was looking over my shoulder, has explained that apparently I can NOT hear early Christmas bells. I would like to take this opportunity of publicly thanking her for clearing this up.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark
Hi Allen,
as a BBC camera operator, are you using the XL2 for personal projects or are you using it for work If you don't mind me asking)?
Hi Ian

I use the XL-2 for my own stuff, although I'm putting it on a BBC 'Jimmy Jib' next week as an experiment.

The BBC seems to have a Sony fixation in it's "PDP" (personal digital production) department. They've gone from the VX-1000/2000 family to the DV-CAM PD-150 and now the next job lot purchase seems to be moving towards the HD successor, the Z1...

That said, everyone at work seemed very impressed with the XL-2 when I took it in to show it off... ?

Maybe the Canon marketing department would like to make a sales pitch... ?
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Allen,

I used a PD150 a few years ago to make a movie with a group of young people during the summer. I had to rent the camera for a week and annoyingly it came with no manual, but I did manage to get hold of a copy of the BBC's PD150 training guide - very handy! I nearly bought one as a result but opted for the XM2 in the end, after reading some great reviews.

But that's all in the past! I picked up my XL2 yesterday from a store in Tottenham Court Road. The family were less excited than me so you can imagine my frustration when they all decided they wanted to browse through Oxford Street, have a meal etc etc - didn't get home until after 10pm!

I have no doubt I'll be a frequent poster here for the next wee while! This is a beast of a camera!

Cheers!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders