Just got a new xl2! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Just got a new xl2!

I've been researching for ages into getting a new cam and after much luck getting scammed on ebay for a grand, I eventually managed to get a new one and I love it!

This forum is very helpful and I'm glad I've signed up there is a lot of useful info here

I'm Bradley by the way, I'm not a proffesional camera man or anything, but I do run a very small music video production company and own a large green screen studio in London - up for rent if anyones interested :)

my site is www.vibrant-studios.co.uk if anyone wants to take a look, all the footage has been done with the canon xm2s so the quality hasn't been that great, but I'm looking forward to finally doing something with the new XL2!

Brad
Bradley Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Bradley,
Congrats on your new XL2. This is still my dream video camera that I hope to purchase brand new some day. Have fun with it and remember to post some footage once you get going with it.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #3
New Boot

Cheers for the reply Steve!

I'll definately be posting stuff as soon as I get going, I'm off out filming tonight for a club promo, and making a music video for the first time with the xl2 friday, Which I will post as soon as its been edited

I hope you get the funds for your xl2, I can tell already this camera is gonna do some amazing things!
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
New Boot

Ok after first day shooting green screen ive noticed that there are some issues with autofocus on quick zooms, im not a proffesional so does anyone know how I could try to overcome this or any threads about this?

i will post the footage in a short while

brad
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:04 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Step One: Turn autofocus OFF.

Step Two: Zoom in on your subject and set manual focus.

Step Three: Zoom back out. Start recording.

This way the focus should stay consistent throughout the zoom.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6
New Boot

thanks a lot Chris that does seem to help actually
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Jarrett
thanks a lot Chris that does seem to help actually
Also Bradley you need to know that there is only one motor in the lens pulling double duty. You can zoom or focus, but not at the same time. That's why your autofocus didn't keep up while you were zooming. However, you should employ the method Chris mentioned if for no other reason than it will make you a better camera operator.

The Fujinon lens on my Sony camera actually has a button called 'quick zoom' which allows me to frame a shot, push QZ (the lens will go to full tele at max speed) to set critcal focus, then release and the lens will go back to the exact spot I had my framing set to before. It's a handy button but it also emphasizes that Chris' methodology is the 'professional' way.

Enjoy your new camera!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #8
New Boot

cheers guys thats useful to know,

I will definately be practicing focus and zoom shots and playing with the amazing settings on the camera

here is some stuff I did today with the XL2

its a bit compressed, but I got some nice texture and colour from it

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VUKPLSiAfVU
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Bradley,

Hello...

Looks good. I feel a little funny suggesting this... since I'm still a newbe. However, the zebra function works quite nicely on the XL2. I realize that you were just testing "out of the box". However, there's quite a lot of over exposure in some of the outdoors shots. The zebras always help me to deal with this issue.

Not trying to be be a critic. Just trying to help.

Congrats on the XL2... I love mine.

Tim
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #10
New Boot

You're sure right Tim, I was trying to go for the whole contrast b+w thing but it didn't come out to well. Oh well it's only a first try, I'm gonna try and use the zebra from now on, I understand it is a very important feature that I often over look...

Cheers for watchin!! x
Bradley Jarrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders