XL2 Audio setup question w/Shotgun Boom mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #1
New Boot

XL2 Audio setup question w/Shotgun Boom mic

Hello all-

First and foremost thanks for everyone on the site......I've been learning so much from the vast knowledge on the XL2.

I am a newbie to the XL2 and have a few questions about setup for a boom mic in conjunction with the standard canon stereo microphone on the camera. When I go into audio set up (In the M mode dial) do I set up in 12 bit ch 1/2 3/4 ? I'm using the rear XLR output for the shotgun boom mic and the standard stereo mic on the XL2.

I have this setup for interviews, but changing back to the stereo (single stock canon mic) for other type of filming like action motorsports be effected in post production by changing back to 16 bit mode on my audio setup?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Don Almeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Trustee

I keep mine set to 16 bit for better sound. Set to the rear, I use one xlr for an on board shotgun, and the other channel for wireless, etc. This is pretty standard.
Bruce S. Yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Bruce, will 16 bit work for the setup I'm currently using....Standard stereo mic on camera and shotgun boom pole mic for interviews?

Thanks in advance!
Don Almeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Almeido
will 16 bit work for the setup I'm currently using....Standard stereo mic on camera and shotgun boom pole mic for interviews?
No, because the stock mic is stereo, which means it will suck up two channels--and two channels is all you get in 16-bit mode.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders