DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XL2 lens jidder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/73360-canon-xl2-lens-jidder.html)

John Poulakis August 10th, 2006 07:30 AM

Canon XL2 lens jidder

Ok, I need some advice.

Im running a Canon XL2 with the x20 lens. Lately Ive been getting these slight jidders when while zooming in. This will happen for a few minutes, intermitenly. I usually shut down the camera and tends to go away for the rest of the shoot.

I noticed it happen about 5mths ago, but only once or twice when I zoom in close and to slow zoom out or even hold the zoom, it starts jiddering, one or two quick jidders, like a twitch.

Anyone experience this? .... now its happen very frequently.

Ash Greyson August 10th, 2006 07:49 AM

Sounds like your manual zoom ring is stuck or something... try giving it a good workout. I actually use this as a technique in music videos... use the zoom rocker and mess with the manual ring, it causes some erratic jumps which look quite cool for a music video....

ash =o)

Greg Boston August 10th, 2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I actually use this as a technique in music videos... use the zoom rocker and mess with the manual ring, it causes some erratic jumps which look quite cool for a music video....

Hehe... leave it to Ash to create art by confusing a microprocesor's input ports. ;-)

-gb-

Nick Weeks August 11th, 2006 07:10 AM

I had this same exact problem with my XL1s's 16x IS II lens, it jittered while using the manual ring and the rocker. That issue combined with the backfocus problem is what pursuaded me to buy the 16x manual. My jitter problems seemed more random though, and turning off the camera didn't fix it.

I've had no problems with the 16x manual... never could get the IS II to work properly.

Mark Sasahara August 11th, 2006 08:42 AM

Could this be connected to the internal stabilization in the lens?

Never had any roblems with either lens-16x manual, or 20x auto, or any other lens.

Nick Weeks August 11th, 2006 09:11 AM

Hmm, I never tried diabling the image stabilization

The 16x manual is perfect, it was the 16x auto that came with the xl1 I was referring to

Mark Sasahara August 11th, 2006 09:33 AM

Yeah, if you are running the 20x auto lens with the IS turned on, you can get some odd effects when moving the camera.

Lou Bruno August 11th, 2006 12:03 PM

Mark is 100% correct. My first time using the camera at a a CAR SHOW, I discovered that when the stabilizer is set to ON, a jitter occurs. This happens mostly at the extreme zoom or where there is sudden panning. The picture is "LOCKED" for a few frames than released by the stabilizer.

Bryan Aycock August 11th, 2006 04:06 PM

VZ Rock

You weren't using the VZ Rock LANC were u? I had to send 2 of those peices of junk back to B&H because of this problem--then I settled for the Bogen 521--NO PROBLEMS SINCE!!! And it's half the price.

Greg Boston August 11th, 2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
Mark is 100% correct. My first time using the camera at a a CAR SHOW, I discovered that when the stabilizer is set to ON, a jitter occurs. This happens mostly at the extreme zoom or where there is sudden panning. The picture is "LOCKED" for a few frames than released by the stabilizer.

That's the OIS thinking that there shouldn't be quick movement and it tries to compensate for it. That's why the recommendation is to turn off the OIS when you're on the sticks.

-gb-

Ash Greyson August 13th, 2006 12:06 PM

If you are a skilled handheld operator I would recommend turning it off when you are using the shorter end of the lens (wide - 8X).

I need to post a vid of the "effect" I am talking about. It looks like you spent a lot of post time creating it...

ash =o)

Nick Weeks August 13th, 2006 12:23 PM

Yea post the effect when you get a chance, I'd like to see what you're referring to

John Poulakis April 5th, 2007 06:58 AM

CANON XL2 Lens Jitter

Sorry Guys - I meant to post a reply ages ago - I was in here haveing a look and came across my original post.

Well after all that, I took the camera into Canon - and guess what!!

It was the stabilising unit - they replaced it and everything is cool now.

AUD$800.00 later!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Matt Newcomb April 5th, 2007 12:18 PM

Good to hear you got it figured out. Now I know what is going on if that happens to me.

Jack Barker April 6th, 2007 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Aycock (Post 526609)
You weren't using the VZ Rock LANC were u? I had to send 2 of those peices of junk back to B&H because of this problem--then I settled for the Bogen 521--NO PROBLEMS SINCE!!! And it's half the price.

Hey Bryan - I have been looking at the 521 at B&H for some time now. They have a basic 521 and a 521 Pro, priced $170 and $284, respectively, but for the life of me, I can't quite tell what features the Pro has that the basic doesn't. The $114 difference is something I don't want to just throw away, because is the latest and greatest.

Which one did you get? Do you know what the differences are?