Canon XL2 lens jidder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon XL2 lens jidder

Ok, I need some advice.

Im running a Canon XL2 with the x20 lens. Lately Ive been getting these slight jidders when while zooming in. This will happen for a few minutes, intermitenly. I usually shut down the camera and tends to go away for the rest of the shoot.

I noticed it happen about 5mths ago, but only once or twice when I zoom in close and to slow zoom out or even hold the zoom, it starts jiddering, one or two quick jidders, like a twitch.

Anyone experience this? .... now its happen very frequently.
John Poulakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Sounds like your manual zoom ring is stuck or something... try giving it a good workout. I actually use this as a technique in music videos... use the zoom rocker and mess with the manual ring, it causes some erratic jumps which look quite cool for a music video....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I actually use this as a technique in music videos... use the zoom rocker and mess with the manual ring, it causes some erratic jumps which look quite cool for a music video....
Hehe... leave it to Ash to create art by confusing a microprocesor's input ports. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I had this same exact problem with my XL1s's 16x IS II lens, it jittered while using the manual ring and the rocker. That issue combined with the backfocus problem is what pursuaded me to buy the 16x manual. My jitter problems seemed more random though, and turning off the camera didn't fix it.

I've had no problems with the 16x manual... never could get the IS II to work properly.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Could this be connected to the internal stabilization in the lens?

Never had any roblems with either lens-16x manual, or 20x auto, or any other lens.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Hmm, I never tried diabling the image stabilization

The 16x manual is perfect, it was the 16x auto that came with the xl1 I was referring to
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Yeah, if you are running the 20x auto lens with the IS turned on, you can get some odd effects when moving the camera.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Go Cycle

Mark is 100% correct. My first time using the camera at a a CAR SHOW, I discovered that when the stabilizer is set to ON, a jitter occurs. This happens mostly at the extreme zoom or where there is sudden panning. The picture is "LOCKED" for a few frames than released by the stabilizer.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

VZ Rock

You weren't using the VZ Rock LANC were u? I had to send 2 of those peices of junk back to B&H because of this problem--then I settled for the Bogen 521--NO PROBLEMS SINCE!!! And it's half the price.
Bryan Aycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
Mark is 100% correct. My first time using the camera at a a CAR SHOW, I discovered that when the stabilizer is set to ON, a jitter occurs. This happens mostly at the extreme zoom or where there is sudden panning. The picture is "LOCKED" for a few frames than released by the stabilizer.
That's the OIS thinking that there shouldn't be quick movement and it tries to compensate for it. That's why the recommendation is to turn off the OIS when you're on the sticks.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Trustee

If you are a skilled handheld operator I would recommend turning it off when you are using the shorter end of the lens (wide - 8X).

I need to post a vid of the "effect" I am talking about. It looks like you spent a lot of post time creating it...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Major Player

Yea post the effect when you get a chance, I'd like to see what you're referring to
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #13
Tourist

CANON XL2 Lens Jitter

Sorry Guys - I meant to post a reply ages ago - I was in here haveing a look and came across my original post.

Well after all that, I took the camera into Canon - and guess what!!

It was the stabilising unit - they replaced it and everything is cool now.

AUD$800.00 later!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments!
John Poulakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #14
Major Player

Good to hear you got it figured out. Now I know what is going on if that happens to me.
Matt Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Aycock View Post
You weren't using the VZ Rock LANC were u? I had to send 2 of those peices of junk back to B&H because of this problem--then I settled for the Bogen 521--NO PROBLEMS SINCE!!! And it's half the price.
Hey Bryan - I have been looking at the 521 at B&H for some time now. They have a basic 521 and a 521 Pro, priced $170 and $284, respectively, but for the life of me, I can't quite tell what features the Pro has that the basic doesn't. The $114 difference is something I don't want to just throw away, because is the latest and greatest.

Which one did you get? Do you know what the differences are?
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders