DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   I did it! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/73849-i-did.html)

Mark Bournes August 22nd, 2006 07:46 AM

Nick, I agree I use the 16x manual lens with my xl 1. It is far better than the stock lens, I guess I come from a background where I've only used cameras with a manual lens, so it's what I prefer. You can't beat the lack of control. Plus there is no guessing with the focus. I have no issues running and gunning with the 16x manual lens. I have worked in plenty of news and sports environments and have always used manual lenses. I just don't trust the auto anything. I have been burned on other projects using auto settings. I too am getting the xl2 (just the camera body) I still have my stock 16 lens plus the 16x manual lens. So I too don't feel the need to get the 20x lens with the xl2.
I think it's all a matter of what you need and don't need. If you can save $700 why not.

Bob Safay August 23rd, 2006 03:44 PM

Well the Canon XL-2 arrived today. It is BIG, and it is HEAVY, and it is BEAUTIFUL. I must admit that it will take some getting used to the extra weight, even after useing the XL series since 1998, this is big. Can any of you recommend a quick preset for outdoor nature? Have any of you downloaded presets off the web?

Jarrod Whaley August 23rd, 2006 07:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bob--

You'll get used to the size / weight. It's really not that bad once you've become accustomed to it. What really takes some getting used to is shooting on a tripod in tight spaces. I was used to a much smaller camera (GL1) when I got my XL2...

Try the attached preset for shooting nature. The colors are saturated and shifted toward the green a bit to bring out the plantlife. I just used it last week while shooting flowers, caterpillars, and cocoons. The stuff I shot looks great to me. I'm also attaching a still from that shoot so you can get a feel for the preset.

Nick Weeks August 23rd, 2006 08:52 PM

That preset jooks good Jarrod... do you have any more custom ones that aren't already floating around these forums?

Bob Safay August 24th, 2006 03:32 AM

Jarrod, that looks really nice, what were your settings. Bob

Nick Weeks August 24th, 2006 06:49 AM

The BBP file he has attached has the settings, you should be able to open that in notepad or textedit (mac)

Jarrod Whaley August 24th, 2006 08:58 PM

Nick--

I have a few other presets, but for the most part they're very similar to this one, only with varying RGB gain levels. I've really only had two major projects going since I got my XL2: For one of them, I'm basically using variations on the above preset (one for daytime interiors, one for daylight exteriors, etc.); for the other, I'm using a (very) slightly modified version of Ash Greyson's B&W Contrast preset (thanks, Ash). So not a lot of variety in my preset library at this point.

Bob Safay August 25th, 2006 12:19 PM

For some reason I can't open the attachment. Bob

Brendon Whateley August 25th, 2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Safay
For some reason I can't open the attachment. Bob

Bob, did you get the file saved on your computer? What Operating System are you using? What program are you trying to use to open in?

On Windows, Notepad will open the file once saved.

Bob Safay August 26th, 2006 07:22 AM

Brendon, thanks, you were right, I downloaded it to notebook. Bob

Scott Nutter August 26th, 2006 08:56 AM

Bob,

Congrats on the purchase. I'm south of ATL and purchased my XL2 at B&H over a year ago. I do mostly event shoots in the horse business. The camera is great and despite a consdierable amount of effort, I still haven't caught up to the capabilities it offers.

Enjoy!

Bob Safay September 1st, 2006 10:02 AM

XL-1s compaired to XL-2

Please see my new post on compairing the XL-1s to the XL-2. Bob