XL-2 shoulder pad removal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 26th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Trustee

XL-2 shoulder pad removal

Question, has anyone tried removeing the shoulder pad from the XLR mount? It looks like there are four screws that hold the bottom of the pad to the top part, I was wondering if you took the bottom half of the pad off if you could then remove the top of the pad from the XLR mount without effecting the camcorder? Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

I had the pad off once, I thought it was interfering with mounting it on a cheese plate. turned out it was not so I put it back on, that is as far as I went.

Bill
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I have read that removal is not reccommended as the XLR hardware is partially housed in the pad.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #4
Trustee

Well I do not think I will be trying that. Thanks for the information. Bob
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #5
Major Player

Bob,

I looked at mine again today, and I remembered this.. When you take the four screws out you find that there are two retaining srcrews holding the upper section on. You can access those screws through two acess holes on the right side of the camera. (tape side)
Look at the right side of the pad you will see two "dots" these are rubber covers throgh these you can acess the screws holding the pad on without taking the four (pad) screws out.
I have not taken the shoulder pad compleately off as in the end it was not in the way.

Bill
Old August 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Bill, I see what you mean. I may hold off on doing this. After just three days the weight and size just feels normal. I must say that the lens and view finder are chrystal clear. I have had the XL-1 and the XL-1s and find the XL-2 picture much clearer and the color more saturated. Also, for the first time I feel that I can actually trust the auto focus. I have a lot to learn about as there are soon many different settings to play with. Thank you Canon. Bob
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #7
New Boot

I've removed the shoulder pad off of mine while tinkering with a custom shoulder mount. To remove the pad assembly, leave the screws on the bottom of the pad in. Remove the "dots" that have been previously mentioned. They are advesive and come off with a bit of prying with a knife blade. If I remember correctly, I think you'll nee a torx driver to remove the pad. Removing the pad did not expose anything inside the XLR connector housing. There are a couple of ribs that the shoulder pad fit on to.

I put the pad back on quickly because I found no benefit to having it removed.
Craig Greenwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders