Band in a dark night club at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 26th, 2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Band in a dark night club

On a last minute nottice I was asked to shoot some video of a band in a small night club. Unfortunatly I arrived late... which made matters worse.

The lighting in the club was bad. There were two stage lights which I managed to re-aim after the first set. The strongest of the two lights was the color "hot pink". Also - I was informed by the club owner that my tripod was too big and not to use it.

Anyway... I had to use the on board stereo mic at auto audio levels. I shot at 24P 1/48 shutter with the gain at 0 at 16:9. I managed to get a white balance off a volunteer wearing a white tee shirt on stage. Things were moving very fast so there was not much time to experiment. Not to mention that I was trying to stay our of the view of people watching the band + trying to avoid damage to my XL2 from buzzed patrons. I used the following preset:

[Presets]
Preset Name = LOWLITE1
Gamma = 1
Knee = 2
Black = 2
NR = 2
VDetail = 0
Color Matrix = 1
Color Gain = 1
Color Phase = 0
Red = 0
Green = 0
Blue = 0
SetupLevel = -4
Sharpness = 1
Coring = 0
MasterPed = -3
Description = Low Light Work in progress: 30p/16

I did some simple color correction in post + fooled with the audio. The video is very dark. But... I suppose it's a good example of what this camera can do under these conditions. When I cranked up the gain I got way too much grain.. I hate that look :-(

I took the footage from other songs and merged them into the video. I think it kinda worked well. I've seen the same technique used before. I.E. Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same".

Anyway... here it is...

http://www.powellcontrolsinc.com/band.wmv
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

bad link?

-Greg
Greg Girardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry Greg,

I have limited space on my server.. I'll re-post as soon as I can.

Tim
Old August 29th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok.

I managed to upload (and have approved) this clip on Google video. This is not the same one that I originally posted. The same settings apply. However, I had the gain way up on this clip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45810756659800

Tim

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders