Can I do this with my XL2..??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 21st, 2006, 08:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can I do this with my XL2..???

We have a guy coming here to do CAD Training, I wanted to record the training session, which is being run off a lap top through our projector.
Is it possible for me to runa video out from the projector into my XL2 and record from that like a VCR recording instead off having to point the camera at the screen?

Our does someone else have a simplier method. We won't be able to do screen capture stuff, it is really just up to my camera.

I have 2 FS-40 Drives, would I be able to also use those if the above method works?
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

Absolutely. If the projector offers s-video out, I would choose that over composite. In this scenario, you XL2 is just a VCR and you'll have to have it in that mode to record the video input signal. In fact, if you are going to use it in that manner, remove the lens to make the unit more compact.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

do you think I can still use my FS-4?

Scratch that, it looks like the only out oiption is for audio.

It has s-video in, composite in, DVI in and audio in, no video option for out...
Chris Fritsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 01:32 AM   #4
Major Player

What about the laptop's outputs? Could you maybe run the signal from the laptop into the XL2 and then go from there to the projector?
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Problem is that all of the video out options on laptops and such are generally very resolution limited and lousy quality

i know you mentioned you couldnt do screen capture but this is really the right way to do this. Use something like Macromedia Captivate. Then you can convert it to video and get good quality
Old October 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

we have used snapz pro for this as well.
Bob Sandifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Camtasia will allow you to record everything that happens on the laptop AS a video file. So you can record it, AND shoot it and cut between the two.

http://www.softwarecasa.com/pprod/21...FSfSYAodBCM9FA
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders