Live broadcasting with 2x canon XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Tourist

Live broadcasting with 2x canon XL2

I am asked for live broadcasting of a rock concert. The purpose is to project on a big screen I will use one camera on stage and a second camera on a bridge.
I must have the possibility to switch from one camera to the other camera. My question is which kind of equipment do I need for this type of broadcasting? As like monitor 2x, switcher, signal receiver (wire less) etc.
Tonnie van der Heijden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 06:40 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonnie van der Heijden
I am asked for live broadcasting of a rock concert. The purpose is to project on a big screen I will use one camera on stage and a second camera on a bridge.
I must have the possibility to switch from one camera to the other camera. My question is which kind of equipment do I need for this type of broadcasting? As like monitor 2x, switcher, signal receiver (wire less) etc.
You'll need some kind of vision mixing console or video splitter, if you plan to direct the two camera operators, a talkback system is also necessary. If not you need a 'game plan' up front.

Ideally you'll want a monitor for each camera and an output monitor as well (3 in total). It's up to you whether or not you physically cable the cameras to the mixer or radio link them. My experience is that radio links are unreliable and subject to interference. So I'd reckon you want to get a couple of long video feeds such as BNC co-axial cable on long runs and take the composite output from the XL-2's into a mixer and output the mixer into the distribution amp or whatever means you have of feeding the big screens.

Good luck...
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #3
New Boot

XL2 Live Event

Quote:
Does anyone know if the XL2's auto standby feature can be disabled? I've tried to use ours for some live video feeds and without actually recording at the time, the camera shuts off by itself.

Also, for switching, if you'll be doing more things like this in the future, you might check out the Tricaster from Newtek (http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/).
Neal Metzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Metzler
Does anyone know if the XL2's auto standby feature can be disabled? I've tried to use ours for some live video feeds and without actually recording at the time, the camera shuts off by itself..
Yes you can. It's a menu setting. Your other option for live video work is to not have a tape in the camera.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
I've done exactly what you are describing. We used one XL2 locked down by the audio console for broad coverage and I was handheld near the stage for CU's.

We used a Panasonic MX50 switcher. As was suggested, there were three monitors at the switcher to see each camera feed and the master output (to the projector screens).

The only reliable way to feed the video is coaxial cable via the BNC output of the camera (don't forget to set the little switch next to the RCA/BNC).

We also had an intercom setup so the TD could tell us what shots to get, when our camera was going live, etc.

As I mentioned in the previous post, make sure your menu setting is for VCR STOP, not SHUTDOWN so the camera won't power down if you have tape in the camera.

Good luck,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I believe the feature you are looking for to disable it can be found on page-33 of the manual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Yes you can. It's a menu setting. Your other option for live video work is to not have a tape in the camera.

-gb-
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders