DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   XL2 hard case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-gl-series-dv-camcorders/76847-xl2-hard-case.html)

Mark Bournes October 12th, 2006 04:38 PM

Pelican is definitely the way to go. I have a few and they are indestructable. They do have a lifetime warranty, if they break you just ship it back and they either fix it or replace it. You only pay for the shipping. I recently had 1 replaced and it cost me $30 round trip. A lot cheaper than having to buy a new one.

Kevin Randolph October 14th, 2006 11:11 PM

XL2 Case from Canon

6 Attachment(s)
I have the Canon system case. I bought it after buying a Porta-Brace that was advertised to fit the XL2 from B&H (it didn't really seem to fit - don't remember the model number). Anyway, several messages back some one was wondering what the inside of the Canon case was like...

The XL2 is supported on a removable foam platform with 2 pieces of velcro that hold the camera in place. One wraps through the handle by the EV control, the other wraps over the lens behind the stock lens shade. The platform is removable and there is a cut-out in it where you could vertically store a second lens (also secured with a velcro strap and some foam). When the case is shut there are two strategically located blocks of foam on the inside of the lid that hold the camera down. They match up with the top of the handle and the top of the bar between the eye-piece and mic. It doesn't seem like it should work, but the camera DOESN'T MOVE.

As I said earlier, the platform that the camera sets on is removable. Under the platform there is space to store accessories. There are 2 movable dividers to create three compartments of whatever size you need. I make one larger for my wireless mic, one the width of a tape (could fit about 15 if you wanted to), and the last for power.

There is only one handle on the top that is not the most comfortable, but it gets the job done. And Canon does include a shoulder strap that attaches to the ends of the case that is quite comfortable.

Also, there is a small pouch that could store a lens adaptor or a few filters on the onside of the lid.

Hope this helps someone. Also, I know the pics are grainy and low res - didn't feel like setting up any lights.

Kevin

Jonathan Kirsch October 19th, 2006 11:26 AM

Kevin...

Do you actually carry the Canon case on your shoulder with the shoulder strap? How the heck do you walk around with it? It's way too big! And after you put all the stuff in there, it's pretty heavy, eh?

Kevin Randolph October 20th, 2006 08:20 AM

Shoulder Strap

Jonathan,

The first time I took the case out I didn't use the strap. But after walking a block to my shoot carrying the case, I wish that I had used the strap. I now use a combination of the strap and the handle. If I'm walking where there's lots of room then I let the strap do most of the work. But going through doorways and navigating areas with lots of people, I'll mainly use the handle, or set the back end of the case on my hip so it kind of sticks out in front of me with the strap over my shoulder.

If your going to use this case, use the strap. And be careful walking through doorways.

Kevin

P.S. - I had a guy ask if he could have a soda out of my cooler... you know, my Canon cooler. I didn't think that it looked like an Igloo, but what do I know?

Jonathan Kirsch October 20th, 2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph
P.S. - I had a guy ask if he could have a soda out of my cooler... you know, my Canon cooler. I didn't think that it looked like an Igloo, but what do I know?

Ha, Ha. That's a good one. I've got a red and white Igloo, but never seen a silver one! And you've got some strong shoulders, my friend. I don't think I'll be carrying my Canon case anytime soon. But if I do, I'll keep your advice in mind.

Jonathan