2 cam shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Major Player

2 cam shoot

I was looking at the manual on this and its possible to sync up 2 same cameras for the likes of a play so the timecodes are easy to match up with tape changing etc for a multi cam edit.

Could someone pleas tell me just how exactly to do this for say a 4 hour duration with intervals etc.

What way in the edit does the mini dv tape read the timecode, does it trick the tape into thinking it can go on for longer that an hout ot what?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:16 PM   #2
Major Player

The name of what you're looking for is "genlock" and it's a pretty standard feature in some of the big dogs. The XLH1 (the HD version of this camera) has it, as does the new A1 (at least the fancy schmancy version of the A1).
Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Actually the XL2 already includes a wonderful little feature which makes this very easy to accomplish. See my article, "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots," which outlines in detail the exact procedure for doing this. No problem with the duration of the shoot either. The link is http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:05 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller
The name of what you're looking for is "genlock" and it's a pretty standard feature in some of the big dogs. The XLH1 (the HD version of this camera) has it, as does the new A1 (at least the fancy schmancy version of the A1).
Actually Steve, Genlock is not for TC sync, that's why there are separate jacks for TC In, TC Out, and Genlock.

Genlock is the method by which all cameras in a multi-cam shoot that will be switched live are syncronized in their scanning of the image so that there are no picture glitches when the switcher goes from one camera to another. TC In & Out are used to set a master/slave clock arrangement so that each camera will be laying the same free-run timecode to tape.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #5
Major Player

I stand corrected...thanks, guys! /blush/
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Actually the XL2 already includes a wonderful little feature which makes this very easy to accomplish. See my article, "Using Free Run Time Code as an External Sync Substitute for XL2 Multi-Camera Shoots," which outlines in detail the exact procedure for doing this. No problem with the duration of the shoot either. The link is http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article11.php -- hope this helps,
Chris, maybe you can enlighten me a little. I have to shoot in 30P to use Free Run. In 24P I only have the option of Rec Run and Rec Run PS. Any way to use the Free Run in 24P? Thanks.
John L. Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders