Finger Print on lense? + Cleaning Lense at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 26th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Finger Print on lense? + Cleaning Lense

I've never applied any solution, paper, etc. to mt lense. Now there is a small finger print on my 20X lense. Not sure how it got there. I was wondering if this wouild be a good way to keep the lense clean? General Brand Lens Cleaning Kit?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cessory_detail
Old November 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

Tim, I prefer the lens cleaning 'pen' that you can get at various photographic suppliers. It usually has a retractable brush on one side and a disc on the other side that removes smudges without using any liquid. To 'clean' the disc, I usually press it against a clean sheet of paper and twist it back and forth.

HTH,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Greg,

Thanks...

I'll check it out at the local camera shop.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would not wait too long! After a time, I believe it etches into the coating, and becomes permanant.

Mike
Old November 27th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a good brand of lens cloth, available from most photographic retailers, I also use a brand of alcohol treated wet wipe, made specifically for cleaning lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Finger Print on lense? + Cleaning Lense-canon-xl-2-006.jpg  
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Allen. I appreciate the advice!
Old November 30th, 2006, 05:18 AM   #7
Trustee

Tim, I've used the soft side of a good quality chamois leather to clean all my stills and video lenses for many years (use a soft clean make-up brush or lens blower-brush first to clean the dust off and only use the chamois to clean off fingerprints, rain splashes etc).

I'd also advise you to fit a good quality UV filter to the front of the lens once you've cleaned the front elelment of the main lens. It protects your main front element, especially for outdoor 'rough & tumble' work...and it is a lot cheaper to replace a scratched, marked, or broken filter than it is to replace a main lens.
Old December 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Tony-

If I use "a good quality UV filter to the front of the lens" will if effect the quality of my image? Can you recommend an appropriate filter?

Thanks again
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey Tim--

I have a Tiffen UV filter on mine, and works great. (Bought it from Brian at Zotz Digital). Went to a bird sanctuary recently where it was cold and a bit dusty. Cleaning the UV filter was better than cleaning the 20x!

I sometimes use can of air to "spritz" the dust off of the UV filter, before wiping it down; anyone else do this?; is this okay for the UV filter?

--JA
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bickford
Tony-

If I use "a good quality UV filter to the front of the lens" will if effect the quality of my image? Can you recommend an appropriate filter?

Thanks again
A high quality filter on the front of your lens will not adversely affect quality. There may be some incidences where extreme light could bounce off the front of the flat filter, but this is rare if you use the lens hood or bellows. If you are doing interior work with a lot of lights at the edges or in front of the lens, then it may be wise to remove the UV filter, but for outside work I almost always use one.

I use most of the different 'top-brand' screw-in 72mm filters such as Hoya Pro series, Tiffen, Lee etc and you will not notice much difference between them. The 72mm UV filter that I use on the 20X lens is the Hoya Super HMC Pro1 UV(0) 72mm (Japan). The screw-in 72mm Polarizer that I use most often on the 20X lens is the high quality B+W F-Pro (Germany).

B+W filter info here:

http://www.bwfilter.com/bw2.html

Hoya Pro filters info here:

http://www.hoya-online.co.uk/hmcpro.htm

With super-telephoto lenses, I use the ultra-high quality Nikon 122mm giant front filters on the big Nikon Nikkor 300mm f2.8 ED-IF and 600mm f/5.6 ED-If lenses, or a smaller rear drop-in 39mm polarizer filter (attached to the XL2 via a Nikon to Canon XL adapter).

For 4X4 & 4x7 Grad filters to fit the Matte Box I use Lee filters, or Cromatek, etc.

I also use the Cokin X-Pro system of holders and filters that hold the massive 170 X 130mm filters that are made to a professional standard and more sturdy than the 'P' or Z-Pro size system. The extra-large filters also help prevent corner shadows or vignette at the corners when you use extra-wide angle lenses. See here for more info on the X-Pro system:

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/cokinX.htm

I hope this information helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders