Best settings for shooting outdoors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best settings for shooting outdoors

Hello,

I shoot fishing movies on the ocean. I have an XL2 and I really like it, the only thing is it seems like the colors of the water, the sky, and the fish are a little muted. I've tried a couple of CP's but they are way too technicolorish... I would like it to look a little more photographic... not sure exactly what's going on... except it's muted. any help would be great!
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I couldnt' offer you any settings more than the 'pre-sets' in the Blue Barn download for your camera. I shoot alot of outdoor stuff and have pretty much just 'zeroed' mine out across the board and am very happy with the results. I'd suggest doing a monitor output and playing with your saturation levels, blacks, and gammas to see what you 'want' your look to look like.
I'm in Dallas and shoot primarily hunting/fishing video.
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #3
Major Player

White balance

Hi Matthew,

I'd google for "white balance ocean" to see what others recommend - seems a prime candidate for tweaking if you're looking for a special look.

Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for your responses.

Pat, I'm from Ft. Worth...by the way, but am currently in Central America working on some stuff... Yea, I guess that's the best thing to do is start over, and set it up myself by going through each setting...

Michael, thanks for your suggestion... the white balance is always a battle because of glare and white water, and white boat... so maybe that's it...

I'll try both things! thanks guys.
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

something else I just thought of... maybe keep the ND filter off? the whole time? I'll try that as well.
Matthew Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders